New Fallout Announced; Witness your Doom

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

New Fallout Announced; Witness your Doom

Post by Wolfman Walt »

<strong>[ Game -> Article ]</strong> - More info on <a href="#Bethesda Softworks">Company: Bethesda Softworks</a> | More info on <a href="#Obsidian Entertainment">Company: Obsidian Entertainment</a> | More info on <a href="#Fallout: New Vegas">Game: Fallout: New Vegas</a><br><br><p>Our favorite sexual predator, Pete Hines, announced that a new Fallout is in the works. Details seemed to remain sketchy, but there were a few interesting tidbits on this new Fallout, apperently dubbed "Fallout: New Vegas."<br><br>The biggest bit of news is that it's apperently being developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Bethesda, rather than being developed in house. The game, as according to Hines, "will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3." This undoubtably means that it'll be boring and devoid of character. Or atleast it will be when if you're able to get it to work.<br><br>Other than that, the only thing confirmed is that it'll be out sometime next year on the PC, PS3, and 360. Mark your calenders for genocide accordingly.<br><br>Article can be found <a href="http://kotaku.com/5219584/new-fallout-announced" target="_self">here</a> but there's honestly not much more that can be said.</p><p>Spotted @ <a href="http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/death/vide ... aku</a></p>
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

So the Van Buren team is working on it?
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I think this is all a part of a master plan to sink Obsidian along with Interplay. Viscious cunts.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

This couldn't have been any better news. I'm surprised Bethesda is allowing another company to develop the Fallout franchise.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

VasikkA wrote:So the Van Buren team is working on it?
I would be perfectly fine if they just released a completed version of Van Buren with updated textures.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:This couldn't have been any better news.
Pete Hines wrote:It will be the same sort of role-playing game experience seen in Fallout 3.
I have no doubts that this will be another first person shooter (at Bethesda's behest), though I have more confidence in Obsidian to make a cogent storyline and compelling characters.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I was tempted to write as such, but it could be poor Pete thinking Bethesda's Fallout is quality and he assures quality for this project. I dunno.

The deal is, I don't think Obsidian does any First Person games. Even their Mass Effect clone, Alpha Protocol, is in third person.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Wolfman Walt wrote:I was tempted to write as such, but it could be poor Pete thinking Bethesda's Fallout is quality and he assures quality for this project. I dunno.
Do we have any reason to expect anything short of the worst case scenario? To quote Blue Oyster Cult:

"History shows again and again how nature points up the folly of men. Godzilla!"
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

Knights of the Old Vault 4 D;
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

im actually quite pleased with this

there is an incredible amount of talent at obsidian. the number of black isle veterans alone is very pleasing
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

word. this could be pretty interesting. I hope they show up bethesda.
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Melkor
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Melkor »

Can't be worse than Fallout 3
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

Obsidian has a track record of releasing unfinished, unplayable garbage, especially when stressed by the publisher. Considering their deadline, you can set your hopes up for a product that's more bare-bone and crammed to the brim with bugs, even in comparison to the vanilla FO3.

Still, can't be worse than Fallout 3 indeed.
johnnygothisgun
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by johnnygothisgun »

a publisher demanding an early release is not the fault of a developer, and to criticize the developer for that is unfair
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Except when nearly every developer in the industry is being stressed by their publishers with strict dead-lines and narrow budgets, it's rather fair to make a comparison between those who can only assemble crap and those who manage to be efficient enough to poop out something decent in time. It's (serious) business, after all, and money talks.
Last edited by Kashluk on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
St. Toxic

Post by St. Toxic »

johnnygothisgun wrote:a publisher demanding an early release is not the fault of a developer, and to criticize the developer for that is unfair
It would be, if the publisher was the one that forced the developer to undertake the project in the first place. If you make an appointment for 5 o' clock, you can't blame the waiting party for walking off and giving you the finger if you don't keep it.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

St. Toxic wrote:Obsidian has a track record of releasing unfinished, unplayable garbage, especially when stressed by the publisher. Considering their deadline, you can set your hopes up for a product that's more bare-bone and crammed to the brim with bugs, even in comparison to the vanilla FO3.

Still, can't be worse than Fallout 3 indeed.
I think Bethesda will be more free willy compared to other publishers in regards to obsidian. Bethesda actually came to Obsidian about this so you know butts? Unless Sega came to Obsidian about the Aliens RPG my argument stands ehue.
Edward_R_Murrow
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Edward_R_Murrow »

Would like it to be good, but it's a short development cycle, so it will likely be a better written, and better plotted Fallout 3....which isn't all that great seeing as it inherits the shit combat, shit character system, shit graphics, and a whole bunch of other shit.

Good luck Obsidian, you're gonna need it.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

St. Toxic wrote:bare-bone and crammed to the brim with bugs, even in comparison to the vanilla FO3.
Hope for the PC version to be lovingly fan-modded and you may have a very nice product though :)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Hope is the key word.

We'll once again get the "amnesia tretment" for sure.