Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

You're right about the console crew. But then again playing an FPS on the console seems like a stupid idea to begin with.

Oh well.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Consoles have come a long way with FPS, but they're not quite there yet.

Reach is fun, but I've noticed enemy AI tends not to engage at max and most projectiles are easily dodgeable to make up for the shitty console aiming.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

"long way?" How?

The computer is superior to play on due to its always larger and better specs.
The computer screen is also superior to most TV screens but if you still enjoy playing on a TV screen with a handheld controler you can even do that.

You plug your computer to the TV using a device that costs less than a console and you buy a controller that costs less than a console and you get a superior game.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Username wrote:"long way?" How?
You can actually control the fucking games now, unlike when they first came out.
The computer is superior to play on due to its always larger and better specs.
My Xbox gets a very high framerate, and my TV is bigger than my monitor.
The computer screen is also superior to most TV screens but if you still enjoy playing on a TV screen with a handheld controler you can even do that.
There's no real difference between my LCD monitor and LCD HDTV, considering I operate both in 1900x1080.
You plug your computer to the TV using a device that costs less than a console and you buy a controller that costs less than a console and you get a superior game.
You don't need a device with a high-def TV - just DVI or HDMI on the back of it. The difference between a flat screen computer monitor and a flat screen TV is the TV can accept multiple inputs and has a channel tuner.

All that aside, Halo: Reach was a game I was interested in playing, and was Xbox only. I also can't imagine playing something like Prototype on a PC, given how fluid the controls need to be to operate your genetically engineered monstrosity. Sports games also tend to be a bear on the computer without a game pad. And you certainly couldn't play something like Red Steel 2 for the Wii on a computer.

The PC is superior for most things, but some things just work better on a console.
- the Vault Dweller
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Stainless wrote:Civ 1, because nothing equals the rage of losing your veteran battleship to a fucking settler.

Confirm. Many WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY moments were had.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Sims 2 :)
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Good work on 666 posts, Taco!

In other news, I finished the campaign for Reach. It was probably the bleakest story I've ever seen told in a videogame, and it leaves you feeling depressed in the same way as watching a sad movie. On the other hand, it proves you don't need an RPG to tell a coherent story with emotional resonance - if the writers for Bungie worked for Bethesda, we would have had a much better Fallout 3.
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

From what my friends told me, and one guy in particular read the Halo book about the fall of Reach, they assumed nearly every character involved would die, and they were right.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

*spoilers*

It's not that they die, it's how they die. Two of the deaths are impactful, one random, and the last one you're already committed to the fact it's hopeless so it's just a cool way to go out, but still heroic.
- the Vault Dweller
Taco-Hero
Strider of the Wastes
Strider of the Wastes

Post by Taco-Hero »

Retlaw83 wrote:Good work on 666 posts, Taco.
Thanks, most of that was spent in the Wasteland. :)
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

Got a Move and Sports Champions...
my vocabulary skills is above you.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I played through Crysis because I always wanted to but my computer was never really up to spec to do it well. It was alright except all the suit abilities seemed kind of tacked on and weren't that helpful especially since the passive armor ability usually had to be on all the time when in a fire fight. Also sneaking was pretty shitty but I didn't do it much so it doesn't matter.

I also played through Crysis Warhead and that was more of the same except a bit more linear.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Wow. Crysis seemss like the biggest tech demo ever produced. Was there ever a part you thought was difficult?

Seems like you're so über nobody can really do shit to you. And you always have the element of surprise, ALWAYS.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Yeah, Crysis was shite.

But when it comes to first-person shooters, I really liked Singularity. The choice between three endings was quite cosmetic and had nothing to do with the gameplay whatsoever, but they were pretty kewl nevertheless.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

I'm actually downloading Singularity now. Seemed worth trying since I've heard of it anyway.

As for playing, tried out Space Rangers 2 once again but I always seem to get bored of it in no time.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Playing C-evo or Civilization Evolution and ACTUALLY getting owned.

I'm confused. I usually rape the AI on normal civilization.
Now I was the last nation to survive the onslaught of the Great Britain.

Funny thing; my city (Paris) was defended by some form of advanced spearman while it was taken by ... TANKS. Oh the humiliation. Used to be the other way around if I would play on middle difficulty.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Civ-Evo is a fucking travesty. It simplification in the flesh (or bits), and I was fucking pissed when it was announced as an xbawks title. A franchise already on a downward spiral should not wimper off to the console retards and try its luck there. They should have gone back to what made civ great in the early games. Not just streamlining everything and expect it to be good.
Username
Elite Wanderer
Elite Wanderer

Post by Username »

Dude. Civ evo. not Revo.

http://www.c-evo.org/ <---Complex Civ 2 clone that owns you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civilization_Revolution <--- "streamlined" piece of crap that i can beat in my sleep.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

Well, shit. :chew:
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

Username wrote:Wow. Crysis seemss like the biggest tech demo ever produced. Was there ever a part you thought was difficult?

Seems like you're so über nobody can really do shit to you. And you always have the element of surprise, ALWAYS.
I don't know I died quite a few times in some spots like when you frist meet a helicopter and I didn't have any rockets so I had to fight it on limited ammo. Also the part on the carrier at the end because the game kept crashing for whatever reason. Warhead seemed a bit easier.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.