Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Did anyone buy Cataclysm? ... Shame on you.

15 Hours logged, not gonna say i'm quitting but i'm only 82 on my highest alt and disinterested. One word: Phasing.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

SenisterDenister wrote:Everyone get Killing Floor. Its only like six dollars and then we can all have something to play together.
I bought it when Mad Max RW pestered me to get it and it was really shit then.
Join us on IRC at #fallout on the gamesurge.net network.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

jimmypneumatic wrote:Did anyone buy Cataclysm? ... Shame on you.

15 Hours logged, not gonna say i'm quitting but i'm only 82 on my highest alt and disinterested. One word: Phasing.
I levelled to 85. I've been very busy in the past couple of weeks so I really just played at my gf's place while she was sleeping / working (I went to visit her for a week). Not really keeping me interested. The healing changes are total gash and the healing gameplay is far less fun than it was in the previous 2 instalments.

As in for phasing, I don't really care about it so much. I felt that it was somewhat good early on because it allowed you to separate yourself from half of the people in the area who were doing the same shitty quests, a bit of breathing space. Anyway, once you do all the quests that shit won't matter anyway.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

Not really keeping me interested.
Agreed. It's the 4th installment, and Cata is really just more of the same.

I've never really been into the healing role, but I know about Healbot and how essential it's been in the past for healing in WoW. Is that still true? It'd be nice if Blizzard could say that all of it's class functions are possible now without 3rd party apps.

Finally, through active testing of course, I have determined that facerolling your keyboard is the best approach for melee DPS now. Mages don't even have to do that in 5 mans, they have one button (arcane blast). Granted this is at 82, but i can accurately predict which classes are going to be getting the short end of the stick endgame.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

jimmypneumatic wrote:
Not really keeping me interested.
Agreed. It's the 4th installment, and Cata is really just more of the same.

I've never really been into the healing role, but I know about Healbot and how essential it's been in the past for healing in WoW. Is that still true? It'd be nice if Blizzard could say that all of it's class functions are possible now without 3rd party apps.

Finally, through active testing of course, I have determined that facerolling your keyboard is the best approach for melee DPS now. Mages don't even have to do that in 5 mans, they have one button (arcane blast). Granted this is at 82, but i can accurately predict which classes are going to be getting the short end of the stick endgame.
Personally, I've never used Healbot, I prefer Grid. Blizzard now has their new raid & party frames. Not good enough is the verdict. Grid is amazing due to it's infinite customisation, Blizzard raid frames just aren't on the same level.

As for healing, I am somewhat getting into it. I am not entirely sure that I concur with the mana management changes yet but we'll see.

As for endgame content, heroics are substantially harder than they were in WOTLK. To be honest, I actually had fun in a heroic the other day, we wiped maybe like 5 times on one boss until we figured him out and did it. This was in SFK heroic. We then had to skip 4th boss because he was pretty damn tough (apparently the toughest heroic boss in game right now). It once again reinstated this feeling of a challenge that persisted throughout TBC. T'was fun.

On the other hand, I've only done heroics since last night and today I ran them with a guild group. They were challenging since I was still a bit undergeared, but ultimately we knew that we were gonna steamroll that shit. I don't think we wiped once in the course of 2 heroics. That raises dome worries, once you get raid gear, will all of these challenges become trivial? Probably.

By the way, I haven't raided yet and I'm not sure if I will. Probably not.

edit: oh and as for DPS, make sure you don't end up as one of those retards who cannot pass the 5k dps boundary because they are spastics at 85.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

It's conversations like this that make me never want to try MMOs.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Retlaw83 wrote:It's conversations like this that make me never want to try MMOs.
...and the crap gameplay

...and the grinding

...and knowing beforehand that the game doesn't end

...and being forced to interact with the most socially inept creatures on the planet

...and the occasional exceptional retard that shoves a cellphone up his arse the moment his mom cancels his account, thus making himself and others like him look, well, even more retarded

Though I do admit to viewing this little back and forth with the same bemusement one'd have when watching two small children talk to one another. In klingon.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

... the grinding

... knowing beforehand that the game doesn't end

... being forced to interact with the most socially inept creatures on the planet
These things... they are bad?
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Tofu Man wrote: ...and the occasional exceptional retard that shoves a cellphone up his arse the moment his mom cancels his account, thus making himself and others like him look, well, even more retarded
That video was fake. And it was a remote control.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

jimmypneumatic wrote:These things... they are bad?
Surely not. Particularly if you're masochistic.

The Grind - Do you really like doing repetitive shit? Me, as far as I'm concerned, you'd have to pay me more to work in say, a meat packing plant where all I'm doing is standing next to a conveyor belt repeating the same action for 8 hours a day like a fucking robot than to work on an oil rig.

The Neverending Story - You see one of the things about games (and books and albums and films) is that they eventually end. When they do you get a usually pleasurable feeling of accomplishment that's worth even the parts you didn't like about it. You're done. You now know better. When you're never done, then what's the fucking point?

The Verbose Ogres - Putting up with irritating brats over the speakers your idea of fun? Not mine. Suffice to say when talking to someone I expect the decorum I treat that one person to be returned. Besides, when all you talk about sounds like klingon to the rest of the world then yeah, I'd rather not.

Retlaw83 wrote:That video was fake.
Yeah Ret, like it being fake made anything (or anyone) in that film look any less retarded. Fancy taking a remote up the poo-pipe for the glory of Fallout?
Retlaw83 wrote:And it was a remote control.
I wouldn't know. But by the grace of you, Lord Inspector of Rectally Intrusive Paraphernalia, I stand corrected! :flamed:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

ive been wanting a pretty straightforward shooting gun game recently thats just singleplayer and good enuff. i tried bad company 2 but it was shit. is FEAR any good? id like something like far cry or something O_O
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Crysis was pretty fun
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Tofu Man wrote:Intrusive Paraphernalia, I stand corrected! :flamed:
I see a lot of unnaturally stretched anuses in my line of work.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Retlaw83 wrote:I see a lot of unnaturally stretched anuses in my line of work.
That'd better pay well ;) edit - Don't tell me you work for the CIIA?
ive been wanting a pretty straightforward shooting gun game recently thats just singleplayer and good enuff. i tried bad company 2 but it was shit. is FEAR any good? id like something like far cry or something O_O
Crysis I thought got old really fast but it is a technical marvel, however overrated.
Far Cry 2 on the other hand is one of very few recent games that actually got the stick it deserved (probably because Ubisoft doesn't pay as much as EA or whatever) but it too is a technical marvel and as far as I'm concerned more fun than Crysis.
FEAR is supposed to have the best enemy AI and the best combat around but I haven't played it.

So you can't really go wrong with any of these, it's really just a pick between exotic island, Africa or corridors, really.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Tofu Man wrote: That'd better pay well ;) edit - Don't tell me you work for the CIIA?
I'm a goatse herder.
- the Vault Dweller
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I'm a goatse herder.
Better pay well? I think the job title comes at face value. We all know he's pullin at least 6 figures.
klingon
BomDI' 'IwwIj kaqaw, th'Ingan Hol!

Ka'Plah! :pelvic_thrust:
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Retlaw83 wrote:I'm a goatse herder.
So you DO work for the CIIA.
We all know he's pullin at least 6 figures.
Six figures in AUD, which is worth about as much as a banana peel.
BomDI' 'IwwIj kaqaw, th'Ingan Hol!

Ka'Plah! :pelvic_thrust:
How quaint.
jimmypneumatic
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by jimmypneumatic »

I actually botched that and said: "The memory of you sings in my blood, klingon search." This translation website is crap.
Alister McFap II Esq.
Jerry Falwell
Jerry Falwell

Post by Alister McFap II Esq. »

Tofu Man wrote:Six figures in AUD, which is worth about as much as a banana peel.

1 Australian dollar = 0.9853 U.S. dollars
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Nothing I need a game something not overly complex and awesome DaC grant my wish with a title.