Armour ideas

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

Or on a larger scale like in Fallout between the Blades and the Regulators. That was one of my favorite battles because it was large and had more than one way to do it (to show Zimmerman the holodisk or not to show Zimmerman the disk or even to kill Razor) or side to choose(Blades or Regulators). A gang war like that would be fun but it should happen early in the game like you say FireWolf so the armor with the gangs emblem reward is useful. I like that Idea quite a bit.
Blacken
Respected
Respected

Post by Blacken »

How do you figure it isn't good to be able to customize your character? I mean, what other way will you know "this is MINE, you little bastards, and if you touch it I rip your nuts off"? It wouldn't even be all that hard to implement (pointers and such in C++ are nice that way).
Yeah! and while we are at it the leather jackets should have studs on the shoulders and patches from various bands sewn on with dental floss because punk is cool so Fallout should have it. Sorry for the sarcasm but I just dont see throwing in a bunch of trends like studded belts into Fallout
As for raiders and stuff having insignias on their armor that makes more sense because gangs from the 50's put that stuff on the backs of their leather jackets
You're a bit...slow, aren't you. I was being quite sarcastic. Gee, next time maybe I ought to add "WARNING: SARCASM ENABLED. THOSE WITHOUT SENSE OF HUMOR SHOULD AVOID". :roll: [/quote]
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

I dont really have a huge problem with customizing the PC as long as it does not go overboard because the character you play is going to be more interested in surviving than on how custom his armor is. Also I just dont want the latest trends to be in Fallout. Sorry I didnt notice you were using sarcasm but most of he Noobs actually think the latest trends should be in fallout. I am glad you dont think that way
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

one other thing about armor could be that it looked more like the actual armor does when you wear it, and your NPC's could wear armor.

and possible some sort of dog armor, or dog saddle bags so they could carry like 50lbs (saw it in a dog magazine wile i was flying to canadia)

i dont really really care if there is more advanced armor, just more variants in between, and the ability to upgrade normal armor into MK2 (Mk3!) for possible an extreme amount of money for like PA, cause it would make the game too easy
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Dog Power Armor MkII !!!111#!

Nope, that's a bad idea. Humans and ghouls(N/PCs) should only be able to wear armor.
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Naaah. We need Deathclaw Hardened APA MkIV... with optional power boost and a toaster... :wink:
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

I also liked an idea for a campaign in the FO Rpg site : Football armor.
An armor made by football gear and patched with various stuff to protect the user. Armor that villagers would use.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

Actualy that is what leather armor is patterned after. It looks like 50's football pads.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

eh? I thought it was based on mad max's leather jacket (one sleeve...big armour pad on one shoulder...)
:chew:
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

No, that's the Leather Jacket. He's talking about Leather Armor, the beige stuff.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

If they were to allow armoring various body parts they absolutely have to include the old '40s/'50s "Jelly Doughnut" helmets worn by football players and tank crews.

Or they could just include it w/the Leather Armor picture...

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

That'd be kewl. I'm glad you people are embracing the idea of piece armour.

I agree that no one other than human NPCs should have armour. besides, humans will make up the majority of your group. no mutants, no death claws (yeah i liked goris but its just too far-fetched to have a killing machine on your side). we dont want to be kitting out our pets. "gecko power armour" ... whatever. remember PA is a pre-war relic. if it wasnt made for dogsbefore the war, it isnt going to be around now.

leather armour was based on football armour that's true.

also if they ever get around to making fo3 they have to have each piece of armour affecting the PC's appearance. gloves, boots, helmet have to make visible changes. that was one of the things about nwn that really pissed me off and one of the things i liked about Dungeon siege.
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

I dunno. I like the idea of at least being able to have leather or leather mk2 made for a dog. The leatherworker would look at you funny, but if you gave him enough caps it wouldn't be a problem. I agree that dog PA is silly.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

FireWolf wrote:I'm glad you people are embracing the idea of piece armour.
Who's embracing it? I stated a hypothetical in case it's implemented, that's all. :)
FireWolf wrote:(yeah i liked goris but its just too far-fetched to have a killing machine on your side).
I wouldn't exactly call Gorris a "killing machine". By the time you get him - I'm basing this on the rather crass assumption that you go through the game in something resembling a logical order - he's really not that tough. But I do agree that in the case of a DC in the party "once is enough".
FireWolf wrote:also if they ever get around to making fo3 they have to have each piece of armour affecting the PC's appearance.
I disagree here, and wholeheartedly. The FO games all have a strong heritage of text-based gaming and I think that graphics should come second to gameplay. Hell, if BIS cranked out FO3 w/the old engine and a couple of new character models I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

OTB
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

OnTheBounce wrote: Hell, if BIS cranked out FO3 w/the old engine and a couple of new character models I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

OTB
No, you wouldnt. :cry:
No one would.
And that would be the end of Fallout.
I perfer one piece for the overall coolness (O YEAH! I HAVE A t-51B HELMATE AND CHEST PLATE, TO BAD I STILL HAVE NO FRIKIN' PANTS!), but I am afraid it maybe something we will sacrifice for the greater good of fallout.
Once again, in considering the 3D vs. 2D aspect of FO3, remember that 3D will always have a larger market appeal, making it more likely for a next generation to give a care about the possiblity of FO4.
FireWolf
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by FireWolf »

PA would be the whole set. not in bits. not sure how you'd go about this but meh.

if you're thinking about it in a constructive way then that's embracing the idea 8)

I wasn't refering to Goris specifically as a Killing Machine. but DeathClaws in general are meant to be big badass muthas which are nigh on impossible to kill and deal out severe punishment.

While you can argue till the sun comes up that fallout will sell on its merits of gameplay etc there is the mass market necessity of all future interplay games. Interplay, as I am in no doubt you are well aware, is not in the safest financial situation. Any game which they make will have to sell, and sell well. its all well and good making a game for the fans but the hardcore fallout fans who would buy a fallout game with poor graphics would have to number heavily. Graphics improve the likelyhood that the game will sell. a flashy graphics engine with average gameplay and story would sell better than a game with excellent gameplay and story but mediocre to poor graphics.

Really my primary concern is that Fallout 3 (yes, I am sure it will come. have faith brother!) has an excellent story and is true to the rest of the series (excluding fo:T). But I would also like to see the level of customization found in dungeon siege at least. simply because that'd be kewl. 8)
"And when he gets to heaven
To St. Peter he will tell
one more soldier reporting, Sir.
I've served my time in hell."
Cry Havoc! and let slip the dogs of War.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

FireWolf wrote:if you're thinking about it in a constructive way then that's embracing the idea 8)
Foul corruptor!!!

Oh, sorry... :oops:
FireWolf wrote:Interplay, as I am in no doubt you are well aware, is not in the safest financial situation.
But...but their financial situation is looking sooooooo much better already! IPLY's stock closed at $0.24 last Friday, and here it is Wednesday and it's gone up to $0.35 already! (I wish I had some money laying around right now. Just think, a thousand share could have been had for a mere $240. All you'd have to do is wait 'til it goes up over $1,000 and you'd have a hefy profit. This has already happened once, too.)
FireWolf wrote:(yes, I am sure it will come. have faith brother!)
At this point I would be no more surprised if BIS announced tomorrow that it was beginning design on FO3, or that it was going bye-bye and the rights were going to be in legal limbo forever and a day. Time will tell, I suppose.

OTB
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Why not make each piece of armor affect the appearance? Why not allow Fallout 3 to look good? Good graphics is one way to get more people to buy a game, sadly. Every new little nice detail and graphical tricks are bonus. We're talking about the future here. I believe 3d is the standard for RPGs when Fallout is developed. So it wont look the same as previous Fallouts, I'm 100% sure here. Time goes on and PC games and the graphics develop, it is essential for new PC games to meet the standards if they're gonna sell well. I fear 2d RPGs will soon die out, many can disagree with me here. Take a look at NWN, it proves RPGs work well in a 3d environment. It may not be the best game available if you look at the content, but what if it would be Fallout? I still think 2d looks good, but the future leans towards 3d. That means more detailed game areas, npc's, everything. Content is the most important thing though, the fact that a game has good graphics doesn't mean a poor content. Give 'em a chance!

Oh, and fallout 3 will come. :)
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

3d can look good but I dont think it is to the point where it is as detailed as a good 2d engine and fallout has allot of tiny details especialy in the architecture. Second did you ever see the screenshots for TORN. God the 3d graphics in that game sucked ass. Guess who it was developed by? If you guessed BIS youare correct. Now after looking at that I would not trust them to make a good game with a 3d engine. They have no experience in 3d (except TORN) so I really dont want Fallout 3 to be their first game made in 3d. Plus I am old school and I just like the look of CRPG's in 2d better.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Well if you want to have modular armour and have it reflect o your charecter, theres going to have to be hundreds of different sprites, all with animations and stuff. It's going to be huge if you want it in 2d.
:chew: