A few Random encounter questions...

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Tycho
SDF!
SDF!

A few Random encounter questions...

Post by Tycho »

I am new with this forum, so if my methods are unorthodox, please let me know.
What is the deal with the exploded whale? And what is the purpose of those flowers?
What does the bum in NCR do when he upgrades your car?
Why is there a Chop SHop in New Reno, A Garage with a stoner offering his protection in NCR, and a mecahnic in NCR's Ranger HQ?

Help with these simple questions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
weirdo
SDF!
SDF!

Post by weirdo »

whale is a reference to a movie of some sort.

ncr upgrade... *dunno* - maybe someone else knows?

chop shop is to give you ability to upgrade your car ;]
A Garage with a stoner offering his protection in NCR
unfinished quest... supposed to be a quest with merk (that guy in rawhide saloon) stealing you car but it's not in the game.

ncr rangers cannot give you any upgrades but they have other purpose - you can get 3000xp for becoming a ranger.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

The whale (and daisies) is a reference to the HItchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Thay have no other use.

DON'T PANIC...

The NCR upgrade makes your care faster (and in effect more fuel efficient...)

Well according to the bible, it seems there's a lot of cars going around. If you ask me that's a load of bull and these people elected these buildings as a place to stay... and they happen to know about cars (well, considering you live in a chop shop/garage one would think you'd read up a bit from what's laying around the place...)
Last edited by Red on Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tycho
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Tycho »

I really appreciate the help. Mean it!
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Not everything must have a reason.

Sometimes things are there just because and you need to make what you want of it.

Like killing all the chop shop boys, bringing all the NPC's there, filling the lockers with various equipment (one locker for ammo, one for explosives and so on...) and making the place into your personal post-apocalyptic base. 8)
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I like NCR's Gun Shop in the yard better... closer to San Fran.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
Lancer
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Lancer »

Red wrote:The whale (and daisies) is a reference to the HItchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Thay have no other use.
I'm saddened by the fact that so many players of Fallout 2 don't know what the whale and daisies mean... people truly need to read more...

As for the car thing... I'd hate to think that your character was the only person driving around a car... seriously, how arrogant and pompous can a person get?
Though I would like to know how he figures out how to drive to begin with... well, I guess since he doesn't have to worry about traffic or anything, it wouldn't be much of a problem, would it?
"Back off... I'm too busy being Conceited..."
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, driving a car isn't the most difficult thing to do, I'm sure the character figured that out pretty quickly. There aren't cars around for some reasons. First, the great war destroyed pretty much every car there was, they either got burned or broke down. There's not much spare parts lying around to fix a car or many people who could repair them. Also, there's no car factories left to manufacture new ones. Cars are fusion powered, meaning, they were expensive before the war and used fusion cells as fuel, which are rare in the post-apocalyptic world. I'm glad Fallout isn't Mad Max.
Red

Post by Red »

From a chat with Tim Cain, cars were mostly fuel powered, which means that the majority of them were... And only some Fusion powered... This can help lower the count... After all, the war was over fuel... If fusion was so abundant, then fuel wouldn't hav ebeen a cause for war.

No fuel + very little fusion powered cars also contributes quite a bit to the lack of cars...
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

From a chat with Tim Cain, cars were mostly fuel powered, which means that the majority of them were... And only some Fusion powered... This can help lower the count... After all, the war was over fuel... If fusion was so abundant, then fuel wouldn't hav ebeen a cause for war.

No fuel + very little fusion powered cars also contributes quite a bit to the lack of cars...

Yeah and it also debunks the Idea of NCR having 1 car per every 200 people as MCA says in the FOBible.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Yeah, no gasoline in Fallouts. Lack of resources(oil) caused the war in the first place so I'd guess there weren't many operational gas-driven cars pre-war anyway, or that they were extremely expensive to use, because of gasoline costs.
Raymondo2000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Raymondo2000 »

Well there was oil becuase you blow up a oil rig in the end and the V birds run on oil and talking about mad max do you ever think fallout is just another verson of mad max buase it got mad max's dog and the clothes are the same too.
I Wanna join a clan! I have a ok chr, good for taking the hits,I can make web pages but just to lazy to, thats all :>
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Another reason for the low car count is the road condition.
Fallout 2 happens 150(?) years after the great war.
Many portion of roads were destroyed because of the nukes, and it's not so easy to drive on them.

Driving a car makes you a target for raiders and much of the cars must have been destroyed.

Also, I don't see how a car can survive for 150 years, unless someone is keeping her in good condition. (like smithy).
Raymondo2000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Raymondo2000 »

Its been more then 150 years more like 200 to 250 The war did not start until 1948 to 1950 about then, and fallout 2 is in 2286 or something
I Wanna join a clan! I have a ok chr, good for taking the hits,I can make web pages but just to lazy to, thats all :>
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Raymondo2000 wrote:Its been more then 150 years more like 200 to 250 The war did not start until 1948 to 1950 about then, and fallout 2 is in 2286 or something

The great war actually happened at 2077.

Fallout 2 is set in 2241.

It's 174 years.

Which is closer to 150. :P
Raymondo2000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Raymondo2000 »

did the great war not happen in 1948 and is the great war not world war II but someone just drop a few a-bomb and they do not know that it was world war two so they just call it the great war just everything is from the 50's when world war II happen.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Raymondo2000 wrote:did the great war not happen in 1948 and is the great war not world war II but someone just drop a few a-bomb and they do not know that it was world war two so they just call it the great war just everything is from the 50's when world war II happen.

The Atomic bombs hit on 2077.
Check the Fallout bible if you like.
Raymondo2000
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Raymondo2000 »

AAAAAAAAAA I read all part 1, 2, 3 of the bible and now My head is full of fallout crap and scary crap about the game AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Red

Post by Red »

Raymondo2000 wrote:My head is full of fallout crap and scary crap about the game AAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Yes, that's quite consistant with most of your post... I suggest cleaning it before your next post...
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

The Great War was most certainly not WWII. The Fallout timeline did diverge from real-world history shortly after World War II, though.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex