The nesssesity of the prequel and Prequel ideas.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

The writers perogitive is true but at least in fallout 2 they moved the area north of the fallout 1 map so it only included a few of the northern locations from fallout. The problem with a prequal is that they would have alot of trouble fitting it into the timline without stepping on alot of the history that was explained in Fallout. And how would you tie the story into Vault 13 which would be necasary to give the series continuity. It would basicaly have to be on the same map as Fallout which would screw up alot of the the backstory to fallout. More so than what happened in Fallout 2. Finaly there would be no mutants which only came into being not long before Fallout.
Constipated BladeRunner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Constipated BladeRunner »

How about you play as Richard Grey, or the female half of the master?
Or the grandfather/ great grandfather of the Vault Dweller, who did not make it into the Vault project due to his drafting into the army?
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Well, why not make it so that your char is there to witness the history that was talked about in FO? The quests are there, the water merchants taking control of the hubs water, join the BOS that go to the Glow, join Grey and Harold going to the military base (you could be the one that drags Harold out of the base).
Your char could be in Vault 15 when it had it's schizim then you go to Vault-Tec headquarters (possibly destroy the mainframe thereby stopping the whole "experiment" thing) to find the location of Vault 13, and your decedent is the one that the overseer sends to find the chip.
As previously stated Harold said that there were a lot of mutants, "couldn't fart without hitting one".
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

As previously stated Harold said that there were a lot of mutants, "couldn't fart without hitting one".
Forgot about that. oh well so there would be mutants before the time of fallout.

Well, why not make it so that your char is there to witness the history that was talked about in FO? The quests are there, the water merchants taking control of the hubs water,

what happens if you did not want the water merchants to take control. what is to stop you from killing them. If you made it so that you could not keep them from gaining controll then you are making the game more linier.

join Grey and Harold going to the military base (you could be the one that drags Harold out of the base).

what happens if you decide to kill harrold or even Richard Grey. If that happened then there would be no master and therefore that major part of Fallout's story would be non exsistant.

Your char could be in Vault 15 when it had it's schizim

What would happen if you you stoped the schizm from happening. there would be no shady sands or at least how it was in Fallout.

Basically a prequal could really screw up what happened in the origional. If you made it so you could not do the things I mentioned then the prequal would not be as open ended as either of its predacesors. I would not want a fallout game that was so linier.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

And a prequel would also offer nothing new to the universe.
And why not allow the story to continue? There's plenty of non-used ideas. A prequel would be boring and unimportant since you can't change or define the future, because the future is already set. Sounds boring to me. :?
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

And a prequel would also offer nothing new to the universe.
And why not allow the story to continue? There's plenty of non-used ideas. A prequel would be boring and unimportant since you can't change or define the future, because the future is already set. Sounds boring to me.

Yep! Another reason a prequal would suck.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

The Shrike wrote: what happens if you did not want the water merchants to take control. what is to stop you from killing them. If you made it so that you could not keep them from gaining controll then you are making the game more linier.
what happens if you decide to kill harrold or even Richard Grey. If that happened then there would be no master and therefore that major part of Fallout's story would be non exsistant.
What would happen if you you stoped the schizm from happening. there would be no shady sands or at least how it was in Fallout.
What happens if you kill Tandi, there would be no NCR.

NCR happens if you take a certian path. A prequel could follow a certian path, but not be confined to a single path.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

VasikkA wrote:And a prequel would also offer nothing new to the universe.
And why not allow the story to continue? There's plenty of non-used ideas. A prequel would be boring and unimportant since you can't change or define the future, because the future is already set. Sounds boring to me. :?
A sequel would offer a game nothing like FO, FO2 had too much technology and too much politics.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

What happens if you kill Tandi, there would be no NCR.

NCR happens if you take a certian path. A prequel could follow a certian path, but not be confined to a single path.
Yes and that had to happen to tie the game in with the origional. Ever wonder why Fallout 2 did not take place on the same map as Fallout and that they only had enough places to tie it into the Origional? That is so they could not screw up what your charachter did in Fallout. In a prequal you could and should be able to kill whoeve you want even Richard Grey. If you kill Grey the events in Fallout would never have happened. That is unaceptable. My view is that a prequal would screw up fallout too much. I also think a sequal would suck because you are right Fallout 2 had advanced too far.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

I'm not saying that you shouldn't be able to kill Grey, but as I said Grey becoming the Master is one of many paths that your char could take. FO is already set in stone, so it dosn't matter what you could do in a prequel. You could kill Grey, kill everybody in the BOS, kill every living thing in the wasteland and FO would still begin the same way. This isn't messing up FO, this is making an open ended rpg. And since FO2 ended the way it did this is probably the only way to have the whole civilization-has-died-and-it's-survival-of-the-fitest kind of game.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

The Shrike wrote:Forgot about that. oh well so there would be mutants before the time of fallout.
It's likely those mutants where of the animal type.
MSG wrote:What happens if you kill Tandi, there would be no NCR.

Right, and if you'll notice, other than Harold, NCR is the only place where there's any overlap between the two. Notice when you asked about the Overseer for Vault 13, the answer was unclear as to what happened to him. Did the Vault Dweller kill him? Was he even killed at all? No one knows.

However, what you are talking about is playing a game that takes place in Fallout's California before the vault dweller! You're not talking about one character and one town, you're talking about the whole damned thing.

That's a huge difference there. This idea is even more ludicrious than setting Fallout 3 over the whole region of California after Fallout 2.
------------------
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

The Shrike wrote:
Forgot about that. oh well so there would be mutants before the time of fallout.

It's likely those mutants where of the animal type.
Thank you for clearing that up. I always thought that sounded odd when harold told me that there were lots of mutants.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Alright Saint Proverbius, how would you continue the series?
Move it to another country? No power Armour.
Move it to another part of the US? It would overlap FO, FO2 or FOT.
Make it after FO2? As I said, FO2 was too advanced both tecnologicly and politically.

The only way to make a FO that feels the same as FO1, then it would have to be a prequel. Either that or make after the fourth world war.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

MSG wrote:Alright Saint Proverbius, how would you continue the series?
Agreed
I don't think it would be to bad going down the south and meeting mutant hillbillys...pity theres no fev anywhere else though.
Make it after FO2? As I said, FO2 was too advanced both tecnologicly and politically.
You can easy make it after fo2. Disasters, towns getting defensive and starting to war with each other etc. an easy solution is that ncr gets invaded by the remaining enclave and everyone gets wiped out. From then on mutants are shunned and vault city attack gecko, blowing up the fusion reactor and new reno attacks broken hills. Or something
The only way to make a FO that feels the same as FO1, then it would have to be a prequel. Either that or make after the fourth world war.
No. Going round the wasteland and melting after the first 5 minutes does not equal fun. Also you have to come from V13, or at least be a descendant.

If you want to explore pre-fallout 1 so much just 'invent' a time machine, have the player screw something up (Like mabye accidently cut off richard grey's legs or leave a plasma pistol behind) but that would be a little cheesy.

Otherwise prequel=no. It would suck. 90% of the fo community thinks so to.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Let's theorise a bit:
MSG wrote: Move it to another country? No power Armour.
Could work around it if they wanted it. It's relatively unclear what happened after China invaded. Could it be possible that USA had some time to invade China? Other possibilities as well exist(maybe placing it in once annexed Canada), one has to be imaginative. However, I remember the production team members saying some time ago, they didn't wan't to leave US soil on FO's for the moment.
I cannot find any reason, why should it. There are places not covered in these games.
If you changed the place, I can only imagine, there would be underdeveloped areas -seems fairly logical.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

MSG wrote:Alright Saint Proverbius, how would you continue the series?
Canada would have Power Armor, so that's not entirely true, is it?
Except that none of those games took place in the NorthWestern part of the US, Fallout 2 stopped in southern Oregon. None of those games took place East of the Mississippi River either.

And personally, I wouldn't mind setting Fallout 3 right on top of FOT just to overwrite that game's existance.
Yup, FO2 was bad. However..
WWIV? Why? It wouldn't take much to set the NCR back a peg or two. That is, assuming MCA gets a clue and figures out that mass transit isn't a good idea.

Furthermore, if Fallout 3 was a prequel, it's not like you could do anything big with it. Notice how the Vault Dweller was handled in FO2. He was idolized by a lot of people. There's no one in Fallout that talks about a hero before the Vault Dweller shows up.

Writing a sequel without it being planned originally is haphazard at best. I think Enterprise and the most recent Star Wars movies make that point clear.
------------------
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:And personally, I wouldn't mind setting Fallout 3 right on top of FOT just to overwrite that game's existance.

It's ok, in our minds that game never happened.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Canada would have Power Armor, so that's not entirely true, is it?
Well, alright you have a point. But I doubt the US would send a huge army of Power Armoured troops to defend Canada especially when they're at war with China.
And personally, I wouldn't mind setting Fallout 3 right on top of FOT just to overwrite that game's existence.
That's just sic. "I don't like it so it doesn't matter what happens to it".
Notice how the Vault Dweller was handled in FO2. He was idolized by a lot of people. There's no one in Fallout that talks about a hero before the Vault Dweller shows up.
That because FO2 was pretty shitty. Rushed out the door, tons of bugs and plot holes, and you could tell the developers were running out of ideas. The vault dweller was mentioned only at NCR, Vault 13 a the oil rig. And slightly the Den. I think, you'll probably correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW why was the vault dweller considered a hero? All NCR knew that I did was kill a few rad scorpions, raiders and probably Gizmo.
Writing a sequel without it being planned originally is haphazard at best. I think Enterprise and the most recent Star Wars movies make that point clear.
That's because Enterprise has to make an episode a week so they have to come up with ideas pretty quickly, and some times they contradict what was done already.

The Star Wars movies sucked because no one watched the originals, and I think George Lucas is has lost it a little, he's the one who wanted to make Anakin a little kid in the first movie.

If the Developers played thru FO a few times and took notes, they could probably avoid the mistakes Enterprise and Star Wars have done.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

MSG wrote:Well, alright you have a point. But I doubt the US would send a huge army of Power Armoured troops to defend Canada especially when they're at war with China.
Where do you think they made the push to take Alaska back from? New Jersey? No, they went in through Canada.
That's just sic. "I don't like it so it doesn't matter what happens to it".
No, Fallout Tactics was just "sic".
That because FO2 was pretty shitty. Rushed out the door, tons of bugs and plot holes, and you could tell the developers were running out of ideas. The vault dweller was mentioned only at NCR, Vault 13 a the oil rig. And slightly the Den. I think, you'll probably correct me if I'm wrong.
You are. Harold and Lenny in Gecko both go on and on about the Vault Dweller. There's Marcus in Broken Hills who is willing to talk about the Vault Dweller. There's Vault 13 flasks that made it all the way to Vault City where they were traded to Vic. There's the story of the Khans at Vault 15.
BTW why was the vault dweller considered a hero? All NCR knew that I did was kill a few rad scorpions, raiders and probably Gizmo.
Because he destroyed the Master? That's a pretty big deal.
That's because Enterprise has to make an episode a week so they have to come up with ideas pretty quickly, and some times they contradict what was done already.
They contradicted everything from the start. Even in the planning stages of Enterprise, they fucked up a number of things. Furthermore, what all could Archer accomplish really? Nothing anywhere on the scale of Kirk because no one ever mentions him in the later shows.
The Star Wars movies sucked because no one watched the originals, and I think George Lucas is has lost it a little, he's the one who wanted to make Anakin a little kid in the first movie.
It's not the people's fault the new Star Wars movies sucked, it's the fact that prequels aren't a good idea typically because you're ALWAYS going to trip over continuity with them.
If the Developers played thru FO a few times and took notes, they could probably avoid the mistakes Enterprise and Star Wars have done.
No, they can't. In fact, their situation is much more difficult because Fallout RPGs are so open ended.
------------------
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:they went in through Canada.
Yeah alright I agree there's probably power armour in canada. I though China invaded Alaska then the US reclaimed it quickly. But they didn't China invades in the winter of 2066 then the US reclaims it in January 2077. Still they probably didn't leave a lot of troops to protect Canada, they were protecting Alaska and invading China, that probably took a lot of man power.
Harold and Lenny in Gecko both go on and on about the Vault Dweller. There's Marcus in Broken Hills who is willing to talk about the Vault Dweller. There's Vault 13 flasks that made it all the way to Vault City where they were traded to Vic. There's the story of the Khans at Vault 15.
Harold, Lenny and Marcus only mention the Vault dweller and they only give you vague tales about where he was and what he did. Again, I'm probably wrong. Haven't touched FO2 since 2001.
Because he destroyed the Master? That's a pretty big deal.
Who saw you come running out of the Cathedral? Even if someone saw you, you probably had power armour on or they were too concerned about not getting nuked.
Plus I bet you were called a evil person for blowing up a church. Not that many people knew about the Vault underneath.
because no one ever mentions him in the later shows.
Just because no one talks about him doesn't mean he wasn't there. When you talk about the assassin at Ford's Theatre in 1865 you don't need to mention John Wilkes Booth, everybody knows it was Booth. When Kirk talks about the Klingons being defeated at some outpost and doesn't mention Archer, it's because everybody in the Star Trek universe knows it was Archer.
It's not the people's fault the new Star Wars movies sucked, it's the fact that prequels aren't a good idea typically because you're ALWAYS going to trip over continuity with them.
Not if you think them thru properly, even if you didn't plan one before the game/movie/book/whatever was released.