The nesssesity of the prequel and Prequel ideas.

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:
BTW why was the vault dweller considered a hero? All NCR knew that I did was kill a few rad scorpions, raiders and probably Gizmo.
Because he destroyed the Master? That's a pretty big deal.

Even without the master, he saved Shady Sands.

Killing the raiders, destroying the Radscorpions, improving the agriculture and killing Gizmo were not small things.
Without these things, Shady Sands would probably wither away, or at least remain a small town.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I don't see how a prequel could add anything to a sequel.

towns would have just started, and theyd probably kill all outsiders as they might think they'd be to radioactive/crazy

you couldnt wander the wasteland without taking a mouthful of rad-x. and how would you get items like that? Trade routes would have barely started.

critters everywhere

no enemy to threaten the world (Whos going to be that organized so soon after? and if so whats it going to be? some blobs? theyd have barely and armour and about 3 guns)

the bos would definitely not allow any outsiders near them, they wouldnt even dream of giving away power armour

you wouldnt have a pipboy (no vault suit)

And you can't just simply say fallout 3 would be to advanced therefore we'll ditch it. You can easily fuck it up. Just by killing Tandi the wastes would change. Give new reno some miniguns and stuff and the wastes would change. Kill a bos guard and let civilians walk into a bos outpost the wastes would change.

San fransisco isn't a problem. It's pretty secluded past the military base, and after the nuke exploded it probably effected the town majorly.

If you killed the slavers a lot of towns would have no slaves anymore thereofre do there own work. Everyone would become for stronger and more self sufficent, relying less on police.

I wiped out the raider base to, so they won't be to much of a threat anymore.

A tribe could easily stumble on navarro and find some nice weaponry

Tandi is bound to die soon and ncr would panic, probably elect westin as mayor and the town would change. To me he seemed a bit paranoid anyway, so the police woul probably not allow anyone in. And if a group of raiders/mutants from vault 15 decided to attack ncr it could change the town a lot.

ore wouldnt be mined anymore in broken hills so technology wouldnt be so widely used (no fuel/economy would change)

Other towns would change to, and the mutants around the military base just wouldnt wander around forever. They'd end up in vault 13, new reno, ncr or san fransisco.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

MSG wrote:Yeah alright I agree there's probably power armour in canada. I though China invaded Alaska then the US reclaimed it quickly. But they didn't China invades in the winter of 2066 then the US reclaims it in January 2077. Still they probably didn't leave a lot of troops to protect Canada, they were protecting Alaska and invading China, that probably took a lot of man power.
Remember the video at the beginning of Fallout. They show two US Troopers in PA executing a Canadian terrorist, protecting the newly annexed Canada.
Harold, Lenny and Marcus only mention the Vault dweller and they only give you vague tales about where he was and what he did. Again, I'm probably wrong. Haven't touched FO2 since 2001.
Lenny and Marcus both mention he killed the Master.
Who saw you come running out of the Cathedral? Even if someone saw you, you probably had power armour on or they were too concerned about not getting nuked.
Plus I bet you were called a evil person for blowing up a church. Not that many people knew about the Vault underneath.
The Followers of the Apocalypse and the Brotherhood of Steel both knew. The Mutant Army knew.
Just because no one talks about him doesn't mean he wasn't there. When you talk about the assassin at Ford's Theatre in 1865 you don't need to mention John Wilkes Booth, everybody knows it was Booth. When Kirk talks about the Klingons being defeated at some outpost and doesn't mention Archer, it's because everybody in the Star Trek universe knows it was Archer.
Yet they always mention Kirk in the shows after that. HOW ODD!
------------------
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Saint_Proverbius wrote: Yet they always mention Kirk in the shows after that. HOW ODD!

Not exactly related to the thread, but since it was mentioned:
Serious trouble with technology in Enterprise=
Real time Subspace comm-no visible disturbances.
Phase pistol-continuity violation if you count the Cage.
Enterprise-Far more advance than should.
Time travel out of nowhere and when future generations don't know of it.
Probably no Daedalous class.
Enterprise cannot exist if you believe what they said in TNG.(Wrong ship count)
Romulans appear as soon as 2152(way too soon for a war starting 4 years later)possibly viewers can see even.
Vulcans visited Earth in the(19)50's. Now that must be related to FO somehow. :lol:

I can see possibilities for the same to happen in FO:the prequel if they don't invest too many years to make it right, which in turn would probably be not very efficient, if you go for the profit.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Pyro wrote:towns would have just started, and theyd probably kill all outsiders as they might think they'd be to radioactive/crazy
I don't see why, they might be wary of stragers a first but you could probably win thier trust.
you couldnt wander the wasteland without taking a mouthful of rad-x. and how would you get items like that? Trade routes would have barely started.
People would hear tales about towns or cities and pass the information to you for the price of a beer, or sometimes it would just be drunk talk.
critters everywhere
Why would that be bad?
no enemy to threaten the world (Whos going to be that organized so soon after? and if so whats it going to be? some blobs? theyd have barely and armour and about 3 guns)
Why would something have to threaten the world? why not just something that threatens you or your town?
the bos would definitely not allow any outsiders near them, they wouldnt even dream of giving away power armour
I bet they would be just like they were in FO1
I covered this earlier, but anyway you could be part of Vault 15 when it breaks down and have to find Vault 13.
And you can't just simply say fallout 3 would be to advanced therefore we'll ditch it. You can easily fuck it up. Just by killing Tandi the wastes would change. Give new reno some miniguns and stuff and the wastes would change. Kill a bos guard and let civilians walk into a bos outpost the wastes would change.
You can't just simply say a prequel won't be advanced enough therfore we'll ditch it.
And if you kill Tandi, give New Reno miniguns or let the civilians take BOS stuff it would still be too advanced.
San fransisco isn't a problem. It's pretty secluded past the military base, and after the nuke exploded it probably effected the town majorly.
Not really I remember walking around for a year after FO2 and San Fransisco still was prefect(or as prefect as it was the first time I found it)
If you killed the slavers a lot of towns would have no slaves anymore thereofre do there own work. Everyone would become for stronger and more self sufficent, relying less on police.

huh?
Why would a Tribe exist when every town around them has tecnology that rivials Star Trek?
Tandi is bound to die soon and ncr would panic, probably elect westin as mayor and the town would change. To me he seemed a bit paranoid anyway, so the police woul probably not allow anyone in. And if a group of raiders/mutants from vault 15 decided to attack ncr it could change the town a lot.
I probably forgot but couldn't you kill westen? wounldn't there be contiuity
problems for those of you who killed Westen?
ore wouldnt be mined anymore in broken hills so technology wouldnt be so widely used (no fuel/economy would change)
Ore wasn't mined before FO2 and technology was still prety advanced.
and the mutants around the military base just wouldnt wander around forever.
Until they meet up with the eastern BOS and then have to move back west and meet up with the old BOS and get crushed in the middle.

Saint_Proverbius wrote:Remember the video at the beginning of Fallout. They show two US Troopers in PA executing a Canadian terrorist, protecting the newly annexed Canada.
No, it shows two PA troops exicuting a Canadian Freedom Fighter.
And considering I'm Candian I'd say they were invading newly annexed Canada.
Lenny and Marcus both mention he killed the Master.
Again I forgot that, but the "racial tensions" that FO2 had probably prevented them from telling anyone. Except Marcus probably told Broken Hills.
The Followers of the Apocalypse and the Brotherhood of Steel both knew. The Mutant Army knew.
FotA died, BoS were isolationist and who would stop long enough to listen to a mutant army trying to wipe out the world?
Yet they always mention Kirk in the shows after that. HOW ODD!
Becuse they had a use for Kirk in the shows after that, they didn't need Archer. Also Kirk came after Archer so they probably used Kirk as a more recent example. Kinda of like how more people say Bin Laden is more evil than Hitler.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

lol, what if you could play Harold's life. that would be cool. it would answer a lot of questions that lack detail, ect.
but the story line would be WAy too set for FO type gameplay
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

MSG wrote:
Pyro wrote:towns would have just started, and theyd probably kill all outsiders as they might think they'd be to radioactive/crazy
I don't see why, they might be wary of stragers a first but you could probably win thier trust.
by being shot in the head and falling on the floor?
People would hear tales about towns or cities and pass the information to you for the price of a beer, or sometimes it would just be drunk talk.[/quote]
What about radiation?
critters everywhere
Why would that be bad?[/quote]
It would get boring after wandering every 2 seconds and running into 50 molerats
Why would something have to threaten the world? why not just something that threatens you or your town?[/quote]
What? Some raiders? You could easily kick there ass. It has to be something pretty strong.
I bet they would be just like they were in FO1[/quote]
Well they have lets say...30 initiates in fo1. And they wouldnt accept ny more since the start of the mutant threat unless they went on the glow quest. And they probably wouldnt give you power armour as your an initiate and what are the chances of the eye-socket being faulty?
I covered this earlier, but anyway you could be part of Vault 15 when it breaks down and have to find Vault 13.[/quote]
That wouldnt be very long. It's only about a months travel from both the vaults, then they wouldnt let you inside vault 13.
You can't just simply say a prequel won't be advanced enough therfore we'll ditch it.
And if you kill Tandi, give New Reno miniguns or let the civilians take BOS stuff it would still be too advanced.[/quote]
I'm thinking of things this would cause. new reno will get bigger and bigger weapons until they blow each other up, same with civilians taking bos stuff.
Not really I remember walking around for a year after FO2 and San Fransisco still was prefect(or as prefect as it was the first time I found it)[/quote]
They can't really change a map as the engine wouldnt handle it. The only thing that changed was an ncr flag after you did the vault 15>ncr quest

huh?[/quote]
I don't see what's hard to understand about that.
stronger people>less police to help them from being beaten up>more vigilantes and gangs
Why would a Tribe exist when every town around them has tecnology that rivials Star Trek?[/quote]
they're still tribes all over the west coast
I probably forgot but couldn't you kill westen? wounldn't there be contiuity
problems for those of you who killed Westen?[/quote]
Same applys in fallout 1. Or if in a prequel what happens if you kill aradesh or grey?
Ore wasn't mined before FO2 and technology was still prety advanced.[/quote]
The only thing I see about fo2 technology being to advanced are the laser fences in ncr and the towns being more friendly and 'open up' to strangers
and the mutants around the military base just wouldnt wander around forever.
Until they meet up with the eastern BOS and then have to move back west and meet up with the old BOS and get crushed in the middle.[/quote]
One bos solider outside an outpost isnt much of a problem. They could easily kill everyone in a town and take it for themselves. Mabye even run into vault 13 or something and kill everyone their.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

About Fallout 3 being too advanced technologically and politically. This could easily be undone, like Pyro said. Making NCR fall(killing Tandi), maybe an earthquake in SF, etc. OR moving the game away from the area in previous Fallouts, which I think is the best and most interesting option.

About mutants. There's still a handful left of them. Unlike normal humans, mutants can live a lot longer, no one knows the true nature of FEV. Fallout 2 ignored them, so that means there probably still exists mutants somewhere. They fled southeast, according to Fallout, so it's highly possible they have established settlements etc. somewhere SE of the Glow or in Nevada/New Mexico(?)
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Pyro wrote:by being shot in the head and falling on the floor?
I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
What about radiation?
Quote from the Sophia Tape, Page 1 "While there was no radioactive fallout to contend with"
The Maxson at the Mariposa Base sent out a guy in power armour to take readings, "It seems the radiation has not spread this far."
It would get boring after wandering every 2 seconds and running into 50 molerats
Walk thru the forest for a month I doubt you'll encounter more than a handful of animals.
And in case you can't tell I meant the real forest, outside.
What? Some raiders? You could easily kick there ass. It has to be something pretty strong.
The raiders would be a staring point, a stepping stone to get your guy out of the Vault/Village.
Well they have lets say...30 initiates in fo1. And they wouldnt accept ny more since the start of the mutant threat unless they went on the glow quest. And they probably wouldn't give you power armour as you're an initiate and what are the chances of the eye-socket being faulty?
In a prequel there wouldn't be any Mutant threat. "Well, some of the Initiates think we're preparing for war. That's why hardly anyone gets in now." quote from Cabbot. That probably means people use to get in before the Mutant threat. And you could get power armour from Talus by rescuing the Initiate in the Hub.
That wouldn't be very long. It's only about a months travel from both the vaults, then they wouldn't let you inside vault 13.
Did the Vault Dweller know where all the Vaults were? No he didn't he had to find out from other people.
I'm thinking of things this would cause. new reno will get bigger and bigger weapons until they blow each other up, same with civilians taking bos stuff.
Everywhere would still be too advanced, only New Reno, NCR and other places would be destroyed. New Arroyo Republic would still be there, San Francisco would still be there, Vault City would still be there.
They can't really change a map as the engine wouldn't handle it. The only thing that changed was an ncr flag after you did the vault 15>ncr quest
But no one died from radiation in that year, no one at Navarro died from it either and I bet Navarro was closer.
I don't see what's hard to understand about that.
stronger people>less police to help them from being beaten up>more vigilantes and gangs
I didn't understand "no slaves anymore thereofre do there own work."
But, if they relied less on police they would either become Raiders(leading to the Khans?) or become a self sufficient community.
Same applys in fallout 1. Or if in a prequel what happens if you kill aradesh or grey?
NOTHING. If you kill Grey or Aradesh they will still be in FO1, FO1 is already made, nothing you do will change it.
I wish people would understand that.
The only thing I see about fo2 technology being to advanced are the laser fences in ncr and the towns being more friendly and 'open up' to strangers
What about all the energy weapons? the "200" cars in NCR? Atomic reactors? Verti-birds?
And what does towns being more friendly and open have to do with technology?
One bos solider outside an outpost isnt much of a problem. They could easily kill everyone in a town and take it for themselves. Mabye even run into vault 13 or something and kill everyone their.
If some starts wiping out BOS outposts, the BOS should come up and investigate. But they don't because FO2 was a crappy game.

Pyro
Why did you post this message? Saint_Prov is arguing why there shouldn't be a prequel, I'm arguing why there should. You come along and just try to be cool and end up sounding like an ass.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

MSG wrote: Why would something have to threaten the world? why not just something that threatens you or your town?
I can't picture such a reason as one that would last you for the entire game. Possibly doable, but the developers haven't displayed such creativity for the time being to pull it off, wouldn't you say?
MSG wrote: No, it shows two PA troops executing a Canadian Freedom Fighter.
And considering I'm Canadian I'd say they were invading newly annexed Canada.
From dictionary.com:

-Annex-
To append or attach, especially to a larger or more significant thing.
To incorporate (territory) into an existing political unit such as a country, state, county, or city.
To add or attach, as an attribute, condition, or consequence.

....\An*nex"\, v. i. To join; to be united. --Tooke.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

....\An*nex"\, n. [F. annexe, L. annexus, neut. annexum, p. p. of annectere.] Something annexed or appended; as, an additional stipulation to a writing, a subsidiary building to a main building; a wing.
Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
....2. To join or add, as a smaller thing to a greater.

....He annexed a province to his kingdom. --Johnson.

....3. To attach or connect, as a consequence, condition, etc.; as, to annex a penalty to a prohibition, or punishment to guilt.

...n : an addition that extends a main building [syn: annexe, extension, wing] v 1: take illegally, as of territory 2: take by conquest; as of territory [syn: take over] 3: attach to

All these mean to invade and add to your land another. How can you invade something you already own? If it is annexed, case closed- you can't 'annex' more an annexed country, that's paradoxical even to think of.

Freedom fighter or terrorist(depending on your POV), I got the impression that the PA US soldiers were like an established guard to the place and executed members of the opposition, they wouldn't have news coverage otherwise. I see this as a representation of the warnews people used to see in cinematotheaters during WW2, this time presented in tv.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

MSG wrote:
I'm not even going to dignify that with a response.
Why?

I doubt they would have let a guy into there town if it's just starting. If a raider went in and started a fire he could easily burn the town to the ground. and if they saw a guy wearing a bright blue and yellow suit they'd probably think he was a mutant or something.

Quote from the Sophia Tape, Page 1 "While there was no radioactive fallout to contend with"
The Maxson at the Mariposa Base sent out a guy in power armour to take readings, "It seems the radiation has not spread this far."
That was just after the war. And it would probably be a matter of days before the fallout came.

Walk thru the forest for a month I doubt you'll encounter more than a handful of animals.
Theres already about a hundred birds or so, plus other animals that come scaveging for food. And the back of my house leads to a forest so I know.

The radiation would increase/decrease animal population. In your house right now there's probably some rats/mice. And people have pets to.

And to harold said something about farting and not hitting a mutant, so you must have been a lot.

The raiders would be a staring point, a stepping stone to get your guy out of the Vault/Village.
and the what? Kill raiders and fight big bad evil that have no armour or weapons?

In a prequel there wouldn't be any Mutant threat. "Well, some of the Initiates think we're preparing for war. That's why hardly anyone gets in now." quote from Cabbot. That probably means people use to get in before the Mutant threat.
it wouldnt exactly be well known though would it? and they probably didnt need any initaties if they had just travelled from the military base. They probably weren't even called the bos then.
And you could get power armour from Talus by rescuing the Initiate in the Hub.
and a similiar situation would arise 80 or so years earlier?
Did the Vault Dweller know where all the Vaults were? No he didn't he had to find out from other people.
He knew where vault 15 was. And any person who's played fallout before would know where a majority of the vaults are.
so whats the problem? It's like world war 3, except on a smaller scale.
Everywhere would still be too advanced, only New Reno, NCR and other places would be destroyed. New Arroyo Republic would still be there, San Francisco would still be there, Vault City would still be there.
New arroyo republic=vault city
San fransisco=probably wont even be in fo3. If it is it's to far away and one town wont make much difference.
Vault city=gecko would have changed it somehow. And I didnt mind it as them being technologically advanced was feasible (sp?) And it balanced it out because they were assholes.
But no one died from radiation in that year, no one at Navarro died from it either and I bet Navarro was closer.
They cant reallly have a trigger that would kill everyone in the town. And fallout may not have reached that area yet...
I
I didn't understand "no slaves anymore thereofre do there own work."
Slaves do the gardening, cooking and other shitty jobs. If they did them themselves they would become smarter, stronger and stuff. [/quote]
But, if they relied less on police they would either become Raiders(leading to the Khans?) or become a self sufficient community.
Even a self sufficent community needs soem kind of police force to make sure they dont execute a guy because he has blonde hair or something.
Police in junktown=ok
Police in ncr=shit
NOTHING. If you kill Grey or Aradesh they will still be in FO1, FO1 is already made, nothing you do will change it.
Er...
MSG wrote: did you say probably forgot but couldn't you kill westen? wounldn't there be contiuity
problems for those of you who killed Westen
What about all the energy weapons? the "200" cars in NCR? Atomic reactors? Verti-birds?
And what does towns being more friendly and open have to do with technology?
I dont care about technology fucking up fallout. It's just i feel fallout 2 lost it's atmosphere as a post-apocalyptic game.
You didnt see the 200 or so cars so they didnt really affect gameplay 9but that town was to clean anyway)
Mutants had about equal amoutns of energy weapons and the vertibirds...well they were advanced to, but the enclave were a military force from pre-war.

Pyro
Why did you post this message? Saint_Prov is arguing why there shouldn't be a prequel, I'm arguing why there should. You come along and just try to be cool and end up sounding like an ass.
Ok

Sorry for giving you my opinion on why you have a stupid idea and that you should stop arguing it. If you want to talk to saint prov about this then talk to him on irc and post it here. Otherwise I can comment on why people like you end up with games like fo:t.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

MSG wrote:Quote from the Sophia Tape, Page 1 "While there was no radioactive fallout to contend with"
They left right after the war too and weren't in an area with major targets. If the Glow or LA were between Mariposa and Lost Hills, things would have been different.
The difference between animals now and Fallout animals are pretty large, pardon the pun. Consider that most Fallout animals are large carnivores and omnivores with a scarce food supply, that's a hell of a lot different than walking through a forest and seeing some deer or some squirrels.
In a prequel there wouldn't be any Mutant threat. "Well, some of the Initiates think we're preparing for war. That's why hardly anyone gets in now." quote from Cabbot. That probably means people use to get in before the Mutant threat. And you could get power armour from Talus by rescuing the Initiate in the Hub.
There wouldn't be much of a threat at all in a prequel. However, there were mutant animals presenting a problem for caravans, which is why Grey and Harold went to Mariposa.
Which kind of clashes with that whole idea of a unified vault system that was presented in Fallout Tactics, doesn't it?

Just another reason FOT should be overwritten.
How do you know where New Arroyo is?

San Franscisco would be easy to set back a peg or two. The Shi let anyone waltz in to their base. A decent sized gang of raiders would be enough to cripple them. An earthquake could severely damage their base. Even an accident in one of their experiments could do it.

Vault City can be undone in a similar way. Sure, they have those lovely turrets, but those were only there to fend off the mercenaries that were attacking, and they just wanted to scare the VC people. Anyone with a decent Repair and Traps skill could enter VC, put some plastic explosives in those turrets wired to the power supply for them, then signal an attack. Those turrets activate and BOOM! Down they all go and they'd take that fence with them.
And we wish you'd understand that this is a damned good reason not to do a prequel.
What about all the energy weapons? the "200" cars in NCR? Atomic reactors? Verti-birds? And what does towns being more friendly and open have to do with technology?
1.) Energy weapons were around before the war. Other than what the BOS and Enclave made, most were just lying around in military bases waiting to be found. In fact, in a prequel, you'd have more access to these things because they wouldn't have been heavily scavanged at that point.

2.) That 200 cars thing is a brain fart on Chris Avellone's part. It's even more silly when you factor in that there's no evidence cars even existed in NCR at the time of Fallout 2.

3.) Atomic reactors, once again, are pre-war tech. See #1.

4.) Vertibirds would most likely be lost after FO2. Just because the Shi have the plans for them doesn't mean they can get one to work or even fly them. Then again, if the Shi got "set back", like we've been saying, they wouldn't have a chance to make those things in the first place.
If some starts wiping out BOS outposts, the BOS should come up and investigate. But they don't because FO2 was a crappy game.
Actually, this would be a good way to wipe out something like Vault City or San Franscisco.
------------------
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Kind of hopping in the middle here, but...there's good and bad things about this.

1. A prequel does have more radiation and other dangers.

2. No mutants, but there would still likely be ghouls depending on whose book you read from.

3. There would need to be a new danger for sfter Fo2. Something to set back the advancements already made. Otherwise you run into what the clueless fuckwit at PC Moron said and lose the post-apocalyptic setting. Moving to another location after Fo2 would likely not have as much of an effect like Fallout, unless they did do a good thorough job of making a new background setting for that location and its dangers. Which doesn't seem likely since mutants were already done, nukes are already there, and robots were a monstrosity. The only 50's pulp staple left after that would be aliens, and they've already shoved their crank into the meat grinder with the Wanamawhatthefuckyoucallthisshit, and many don't seem to like the idea of an alien invasion either. The Wanamawhatthefuckyoucallthisshits should have been explained as mutated ants if anything, rather than aliens. That's the problem with a "slam dunk" game design that just haphazardly puts stuff in and doesn't bother to put a background to it like Fallout does.

4. A prequel would only be good if it were set elsewhere due to design involving the first one. Theoretically possible, but look at the hatchet job of Fo2 and the mindfuck of FOT. Somehow, I don't think it could be pulled off by BIS unless they figured out that a shitload of lame easter eggs is a bad thing. Most (well, all) of their games have been mostly linear, PS:T included and Ass-Wind Dale especially. The only one that was fairly non-linear was Fallout 2, and they nearly screwed that to pieces.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Either way, they'd need to set it somewhere else to avoid tripping over everything you did in Fallout and Fallout 2. I think to the East of California, or North or South of Fallout/Fallout 2 would be ideal.

Of course, one of the big problems would be if MCA maintains the whole, "FEV does everything" kick. He's pretty much limiting Fallout's setting to California with that, since that's where GROUND ZERO of FEV is. Making something equivalent to FEV in a new location wouldn't be that great of an idea either, since FEV was one of the pinnacles of Pre-Great War United States technology.

Also, if FEV explains Ghouls, Radscorps, Spore Plants, Mole Rats, and various other mutant animals, you're no where near as likely to have those things further away from Mariposa and The Glow, which are the only two locations where the FEV was.

A prequel set somewhere other than California is fine by me. It's having one set in California where you can meet Richard Grey, Harold, etc. and deal with the Hub, Junktown, Shady Sands, etc. is just friggin' wrong. Not to mention highly unimaginative.
------------------
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:They left right after the war too and weren't in an area with major targets. If the Glow or LA were between Mariposa and Lost Hills, things would have been different.
Not every single city was a major target, if LA was a major target almost no building would be standing. And even if a few Chinese nukes went off course I think the radiation wouldn't be life threatening in 40 years.
The difference between animals now and Fallout animals are pretty large, pardon the pun. Consider that most Fallout animals are large carnivores and omnivores with a scarce food supply, that's a hell of a lot different than walking through a forest and seeing some deer or some squirrels.
I was trying to prove that you couldn't encounter 50 molerats every 2 seconds. I bet most of the animals would still be trying to adapt to the new world, and those who have already adapted would have pretty low population.
There wouldn't be much of a threat at all in a prequel. However, there were mutant animals presenting a problem for caravans, which is why Grey and Harold went to Mariposa.
The first threat in FO1 was that the water chip broke.

EDIT:
There would be tons of enemies(or threats if you want) in a prequel, Ghouls in early stages, FEV combined critters, dogs, people, early Deathclaws. Wasteland was pretty early after the war, and it had tons of enemies.
Which kind of clashes with that whole idea of a unified vault system that was presented in Fallout Tactics, doesn't it?

Alright FOT wasn't the picture perfect version of FO. A sequel wouldn't be either.
But FOT was still a good game.
How do you know where New Arroyo is?

San Francisco would be easy to set back a peg or two. The Shi let anyone waltz in to their base. A decent sized gang of raiders would be enough to cripple them. An earthquake could severely damage their base. Even an accident in one of their experiments could do it.

Vault City can be undone in a similar way. Sure, they have those lovely turrets, but those were only there to fend off the mercenaries that were attacking, and they just wanted to scare the VC people. Anyone with a decent Repair and Traps skill could enter VC, put some plastic explosives in those turrets wired to the power supply for them, then signal an attack. Those turrets activate and BOOM! Down they all go and they'd take that fence with them.
I always assumed that NAR would be over Arroyo, hence New Arroyo Republic, or over Vault 13 because it was already advanced and they could just do as VC and build a town over the Vault.
If you destroyed VC and SF everywhere else would still be advanced.
And we wish you'd understand that this is a damned good reason not to do a prequel.
Yeah but it still shows that a prequel wouldn't have to follow a linear path.
1.) Energy weapons were around before the war. Other than what the BOS and Enclave made, most were just lying around in military bases waiting to be found. In fact, in a prequel, you'd have more access to these things because they wouldn't have been heavily scavanged at that point.
How many military bases do you know where you can walk up and take things? And if the circuits aren't fried from the EMP it would mean that it was deep enough to protect from a nuclear blast, which would mean that it was designed to be a military style "Vault".
2.) That 200 cars thing is a brain fart on Chris Avellone's part. It's even more silly when you factor in that there's no evidence cars even existed in NCR at the time of Fallout 2.
But he's a designer, he knows more about FO than anyone of us. :wink:
3.) Atomic reactors, once again, are pre-war tech. See #1.
Don't you think a reactor would melt down in the 160(?) years after WW3?
4.) Vertibirds would most likely be lost after FO2. Just because the Shi have the plans for them doesn't mean they can get one to work or even fly them. Then again, if the Shi got "set back", like we've been saying, they wouldn't have a chance to make those things in the first place.
I gave them to the BOS guy, who probably sent them straight to the BOS elders. Who would probably start making them to find their lost Brothers to the East.
MSG wrote:If some starts wiping out BOS outposts, the BOS should come up and investigate. But they don't because FO2 was a crappy game.
Actually, this would be a good way to wipe out something like Vault City or San Francisco.
In a sequel...
Which is what I'm trying to fight...
But yeah it is a good way to kill off VC and SF.
Last edited by MSG on Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

MSG wrote:
The first threat in FO1 was that the water chip broke.
And that is relevent to threats present in a prequel...how?

Alright FOT wasn't the picture perfect version of FO. A sequel wouldn't be either.
But FOT was still a good game.
Would you mind telling me what your nose candy of choice is? FOT was only a "good game" in the sense that it had multiplayer. Take that away, it would have been panned pretty hard. There was nothing in it that JA2 already did, and JA2 likely did it much better. Hell, JA2 is actually stable.
But he's a designer, he knows more about FO than anyone of us. :wink:
That's the biggest laugh all year. Hey, MicroForte did Fallout Tactics and were designers. Grasp of Fallout? About 14%, if that, with Gareth as the notable exception. Considering that Avellone is also responsible for Sin City in Fallout 2, it's quite humorous you said that.
The Shrike
Respected
Respected

Post by The Shrike »

Not every single city was a major target, if LA was a major target almost no building would be standing. And even if a few Chinese nukes went off course I think the radiation wouldn't be life threatening in 40 years.
LA was hit pretty damn hard. Look at the world map. There are cratters all around the city. Did you happen to notice that huge Crater south of the city. That was a huge bomb that detonated, especialy if it was an air burst.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

Rosh wrote:And that is relevent to threats present in a prequel...how?

That was sort of meant for Pyros "raiders wouldn't be a good first quest. They would be too easy, you need something tougher".

But here:
There would be tons of enemies(or threats if you want) in a prequel, Ghouls in early stages, FEV combined critters, dogs, people, early Deathclaws. Wasteland was pretty early after the war, and it had tons of enemies.
Would you mind telling me what your nose candy of choice is? FOT was only a "good game" in the sense that it had multiplayer. Take that away, it would have been panned pretty hard.
I liked FOT and I didn't even try multiplayer.
Compared to FO it was a lot better, except it had no RPG elements.
That's the biggest laugh all year. Hey, MicroForte did Fallout Tactics and were designers. Grasp of Fallout? About 14%, if that, with Gareth as the notable exception. Considering that Avellone is also responsible for Sin City in Fallout 2, it's quite humorous you said that.
I think it's a bigger laugh that you can't read. I was talking about MCA, did MCA work on FOT? Did any of the Devs from FO work on FOT?
And New Reno was alright, It wasn't as bad as NCR, San Francisco, or Vault City.
MSG
SDF!
SDF!

Post by MSG »

The Shrike wrote:LA was hit pretty damn hard. Look at the world map. There are cratters all around the city. Did you happen to notice that huge Crater south of the city. That was a huge bomb that detonated, especialy if it was an air burst.
I was talking about the LA Boneward.

I'm a canadian, I don't care what your county looks like or what it does, as long as you don't drag us down with you.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

MSG wrote: I liked FOT and I didn't even try multiplayer.
Compared to FO it was a lot better, except it had no RPG elements.
Now I know you're on something.
I think it's a bigger laugh that you can't read. I was talking about MCA, did MCA work on FOT? Did any of the Devs from FO work on FOT?
And New Reno was alright, It wasn't as bad as NCR, San Francisco, or Vault City.
Nice try, but you can shove that straw man straight up your ass.

You said MCA was a designer and by that virtue he knew more than any of us. in reply, I put forth that not only did he put in poorly fitting areas, but just because someone was a developer it doesn't mean that they were knowing or more knowing than any of us, much less an entire team. Especially when he demonstrably doesn't know, many times over. As for any of the devs from FO work on FOT, I think you need a serious reality check if you can't remember Chris Taylor.

Thank you for playing, you can claim your ass on the way out. :lol: