whole wide world

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
mad_troll
SDF!
SDF!

whole wide world

Post by mad_troll »

I think they should recreate the whole world (after the apocalypse ofcourse) and then let you choose which nationality you are, what country you are from. Wouldn't it be just great.....I know it would take a whole lot of time to make such a game, but they could use the same graphics as they did in the first two FO games, or maybe FoT. So what do you say??? 8)
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Sure, if you want a cookie-cutter world like Daggerfall and a weak story to match.

For more clues, I'll just post this URL since I'm not going to waste my time restating it all:

http://www.duckandcover.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2704
mad_troll
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mad_troll »

Don't you under stand one word I was saying????? They can reduce the graphics so they don't have to work on that for a hundred years....graphics is not what the game is about.....by not having such a professional graphic they have more time to create a larger world and a great story.....Think about that for a while huh?????
Miracleasd
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Miracleasd »

problem is the graphics used in all the FO series is very time consuming in itself.
mad_troll
SDF!
SDF!

Post by mad_troll »

On that time it was maybe, but that was ages ago (technology ages that is) With modern tchnology it would be quite easy to restoe those graphics...that's what i think anyway!!
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

mad_troll wrote:Don't you under stand one word I was saying????? They can reduce the graphics so they don't have to work on that for a hundred years....graphics is not what the game is about.....by not having such a professional graphic they have more time to create a larger world and a great story.....Think about that for a while huh?????
I did think about it. Obviously, the capacity for your understanding of game design is limited to graphics.

If you had bothered to read that thread, you would have seen that I made no mention of graphics whatsoever and was referring to a game design. Even with the simple example of Daggerfall, where the people and quests were shallow templating, it wouldn't have the depth or setting of Fallout. Even a complete moron would understand the difficulty of having to detail the whole world or even try to explain the relationships between locations far away, not to mention the protagonist's reasons for traveling to that far. I had thought I had already posted this in the thread I referenced, but it was either my mistake in posting the URL or you are in some dire need of Ritalin or bifocals.

So, in short, thanks for wasting my time by not bothering to even think things through or read, instead humping on the ? key like a dog on the mailman's leg.

Have a nice day. 8)
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fallout should remain in the US, preferably western US. That's where it begun, that's where it will end.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

What a horrible idea. This would make for recycled towns, generic NPCs and (God forbid) randomly generated loot. And if BIS can't keep the story straight when keeping to two states, imagine what they'll do with six continents. "Well, the Chinese were developing something called VFE, Virus of Forced Evolution, and so there's lots of big critters in China. Here's a plasma rifle."
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

mad_troll wrote:they could use the same graphics as they did in the first two FO games, or maybe FoT. So what do you say???
I'd rather choose the second option. It would be crap anyway. Fo3 is not coming out tommorow, remember that.
I like BIG guns...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Meths wrote:
mad_troll wrote:they could use the same graphics as they did in the first two FO games, or maybe FoT. So what do you say???
I'd rather choose the second option. It would be crap anyway. Fo3 is not coming out tommorow, remember that.
What, no nice and flashy 3d-minigun effects?? :wink: :P
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

I'd rather have fo2 graphics those graphics of fot made me nausiated. How can someone be that round for christs sake.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Aside from hairy deathclaws, one-headed brahmin, and the rest, the FOT engine wasn't bad. Redo some of the sprites, add dialogue to it, and you've got a pretty good RPG engine there.

RPG Codex
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

i stil think it should run on a sorta tweaked fallout 2 engine. The trnsition should be the way fallout1 was diffrent from 2. In case you havent played both they were on pratically the same engine. Please excuse my spelling.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Yes, and they were about a year and a half apart. It has been six years since Fallout 2. Despite the constant IE rehashes, there is no way that any future Fallout game could use the same engine, especially considering that the Fallout engine is apparently very hard to work with.

RPG Codex
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Fallout engine would scare off 99% of the gaming market. Simply put, it is too old.
FOT engine is old in todays standards, even if it's not bad as Spazmo said. BIS would never use it. Fallout 3 will probably be 3d, even if we, the fallout community, would prefer isometric 2d. Guess what, IPLY isn't doing Fallout 3 just to please us, they are doing it for the money. And nicer graphics have a bigger chance appealing the gaming market, sometimes at the cost of gameplay. Sad huh? But so true...
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Unfortunately what the majority of us want are what makes Fallout and near the top of just about every CRPG list.

Likely if IPLY bows to trends and makes it like every other game out there, it would hardly be as distinct.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

Graph is one thing and smooth animations are smth another. Graph can't be too flashy because it's a dark, postapocaliptic atmosphere. I'd prefer to see better or just more animations. The animated gear in Fo2 was:

weapons: unarmed, knife, spear, sledgehammer, club, 10 mm pistol, 10 mm smg, shotgun, minigun, plasma rifle, rocket launcher.

armors: those from Fo1.

These are the basic weapons, that are enough. Any extra weapon/armor should be animated as well. Otherwise it would be "unfinished". I don't like weapons using animations of smth else, like the sniper rifle that looks the same as shotgun.

It also affects playability. I would die to see a person with combat leather jacket armed with assault rifle.
I like BIG guns...
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

Well then we will have to fall on my backup plan, me winning the lotto and buy the copywrites for it then fund the creation of it. Cmon lucky numbers......
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Meths wrote:Graph is one thing and smooth animations are smth another. Graph can't be too flashy because it's a dark, postapocaliptic atmosphere. I'd prefer to see better or just more animations. The animated gear in Fo2 was:

weapons: unarmed, knife, spear, sledgehammer, club, 10 mm pistol, 10 mm smg, shotgun, minigun, plasma rifle, rocket launcher.

armors: those from Fo1.

These are the basic weapons, that are enough. Any extra weapon/armor should be animated as well. Otherwise it would be "unfinished". I don't like weapons using animations of smth else, like the sniper rifle that looks the same as shotgun.

It also affects playability. I would die to see a person with combat leather jacket armed with assault rifle.
And what has this to do with the topic?
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

Sure I should do smth like this first:
VasikkA wrote:
Meths wrote:
What, no nice and flashy 3d-minigun effects?? :wink: :P
I like BIG guns...