Do it for the children

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Rex Exitium
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Rex Exitium »

What to do?
Site Designer/Content Writer
RPG Codex - Putting the 'role' back in RPG
http://www.rpgcodex.com

Site Creator
http://www.rpgplanet.com/lionheart
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

I know! Make another dungeons and dragons game!!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Nothing wrong with D&D, if you know how to make it right...

... you know, like that! (* /me points at Planescape: Torment *)
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

It's easier to make dozens and dozens of crappy games every year than making a good one.
Sukhoi
SDF!
SDF!

LMAO

Post by Sukhoi »

I don't know who put this ziggykiller incharge but this thread is fummy...

you all come across as juvenile shemales

love, happiness, fallout 3... that's what's all about

btw, Miroslav dead or something?
Section8
I Make Games!
I Make Games!

Post by Section8 »

Wow, I just noticed this. Bolding was already there. OH THE HUMANITY! I think the only thing the Game Informer would have an informed opinion about would be Herve's arse-crack, because their reviewer seems to have somehow managed to "accidentally" lodge his face there instead of actually playing the game.

<a href="http://icewind2.blackisle.com/" class="smallheader" target="_new">Icewind Dale II</a> - Game Informer (October Issue) - 10/3/2002<P><b>Icewind Dale II: Better Than Ever</b>
<p>"The Infinity engine, which fueled the Baldur's series as well as this Icewind epoch, is looking better than ever. I hope it's never shelved -- did you hear that, Interplay? This is the best role-playing engine that has ever been invented. <b>This is one of the best RPGs ever released for the PC.</b> That is uses D&D rules makes it all the better!"

<p>"Beautiful environments, great special effects, sweet cutscenes, and awesome character models all add up to a visual feast."

<p>"...it comes down to this: <b>Icewind Dale II has legs from here to Christmas</b>. The RPG market just got a lot more interesting, folks."

<p><font size="4" color="#cc0000">Bottom Line: 9.5</font>
--
Only a real artist knows the actual anatomy of the terrible, or the physiology of fear - the exact sort of lines and proportions that connect up with latent instincts or heriditary memories of fright, and the proper colour contrasts and lighting effects to stir the dormant sense of strangeness.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

That's just incredibly sad. Sites like Game Informer need to die.

And ten to one, this guy wrote that review before he hit the forest maze too, which tends to piss a hell of a lot of people off.
------------------
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

S_P, do you actually play these games? I am starting to suspect you do. During our discussions of NWN, PoRII and now this, you seem too well-informed to not have been through them a fair distance.

I only ask, because I haven't played IWD or IWDII and actually really only played 1.5 BG games before I was too bored to buy another IE game. If you're sitting there quietly playing them, I have to say I'm amazed. It's obvious you don't enjoy them, so I'd have to put it down to dedication or bloody-mindedness (or masochism, I suppose).
Sqawk
evilmonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by evilmonkey »

COIO
You need to be friends with the enemy

You need to know thy enemy

and besides I had some hopes about NWN and the mods :oops:
Black is the Colour that Shines on my Path
Black is the Colour of Freedom
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:S_P, do you actually play these games? I am starting to suspect you do. During our discussions of NWN, PoRII and now this, you seem too well-informed to not have been through them a fair distance.

I only ask, because I haven't played IWD or IWDII and actually really only played 1.5 BG games before I was too bored to buy another IE game. If you're sitting there quietly playing them, I have to say I'm amazed. It's obvious you don't enjoy them, so I'd have to put it down to dedication or bloody-mindedness (or masochism, I suppose).
NWN: Yes, hated it.
PoR2: Yes, mixed feelings.
IWD2: No
------------------
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

and besides I had some hopes about NWN and the mods
So did I. I still do.

I would like NWN to be used for any D&D CRPGs created in the future. Bioware can license it to anyone wanting to do a commercial module. Those people can then implement their module, with any new models or tilesets required, and development companies can stop re-inventing D&D implementations.

I suppose the IE will still be used, because of all the 2D and 2nd Ed diehards, but I'd rather they didn't. One D&D CRPG engine should be enough.

Development companies, like Black Isle, could then spend their time developing more original titles.
COIO

I wasn't criticising anyone for playing IE games. I think it's admirable that people limit their criticisms to games they've actually played. I was just surprised that anyone who dislikes them as much as S_P obviously does could stomach playing them.

[EDIT]I just read S_P's reply. You must be reading a lot of feedback on the games you haven't played to know so much about them.
Sqawk
evilmonkey
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by evilmonkey »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:I suppose the IE will still be used, because of all the 2D and 2nd Ed diehards, but I'd rather they didn't. One D&D CRPG engine should be enough.
I doubt it, its really old, and it shows.
Development companies, like Black Isle, could then spend their time developing more original titles.
sure - I'm sure they want just that, but with publishers screaming for money in an otherwise costly buisniess... I'm not really suprised. Not to mention the work of building a new engine.
COIO

I wasn't criticising anyone for playing IE games. I think it's admirable that people limit their criticisms to games they've actually played. I was just surprised that anyone who dislikes them as much as S_P obviously does could stomach playing them.
My comment was more of a pun, the problems with most games I dislike are details - and a few bad can make the whole game rotten even if there are dozens of more things thats actually great.

I fear my own opinions about matters often come out in Comic form - clad with rainbow colours and still completely black and white(just like any classic DC album). Its like people only giving 1s and 10s when the review games :)

so unless the game scores a 9 or above I'll bash down on it making, due to my own fault, people believe that I gave it a 1 - even if it was worthy of 8.5.

excuse my metaphors...
Black is the Colour that Shines on my Path
Black is the Colour of Freedom
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote: I wasn't criticising anyone for playing IE games. I think it's admirable that people limit their criticisms to games they've actually played. I was just surprised that anyone who dislikes them as much as S_P obviously does could stomach playing them.
Person who dislikes game but bought it = most likely a sucker.
Person who dislikes game, and didn't buy it, but comments on why they don't like it = smart consumer.

I've had a few games that I've not played, or bought, that I could certainly comment on. Mostly it's firsthand experience of friends who have a good working knowledge of the game and I can trust their evaluation and experiences.

And you really don't need to buy X-Com: Enforcer to see that it's a real poor idea. The forest maze in Ass-Wind Dale II is just as fucking idiotic as jumping puzzles, just as annoying, and is a prime example of shit game design, so that's even more ovbious a point.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Re: LMAO

Post by Megatron »

Sukhoi wrote:I don't know who put this ziggykiller incharge but this thread is fummy...

lol u r smart!!!11
:chew:
HackerZero
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Re: LMAO

Post by HackerZero »

Pyro wrote:
Sukhoi wrote:I don't know who put this ziggykiller incharge but this thread is fummy...

lol u r smart!!!11
by god, I think you're right? :)
Hey look it's Valdis's sub personality, hi valdis!