Full armour or seperate parts?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.

Seperate or full?

Full suits. I don't want some 3d fallout with a shit dnd armour system
27%
Seperate pieces. It's time for fallout to go into 3d and the vault dweller to wear a single shoulder-pad
73%

Total votes: 59

Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Full armour or seperate parts?

Post by Megatron »

Do you think the suits of armour should stay the same, or go the same route as a lot of other RPGs and include different armour pieces for seperate parts of the body.

You could only do the latter though with a 3d engine.
:chew:
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

And what's wrong with combined armor?
I like BIG guns...
Insane-Lark
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Insane-Lark »

I want my Fallout to be 2D & turn based, that being said, if we ever get it I'd be really happy just to get TURN BASED.

Armor parts could be interesting but if implimented I'd hope that it was limited at best. Sure you could wear parts of combat armor or a shoulderpad etc, but when it comes down to power armor that is a Unit & should not work unless it's all there. More interestiing would be scavenging & putting together a suit of PA out of parts but I'd think the average wastelander wouldn't have the nessicary skills to do so.

Hmmmm. The whole idea is giving me terrible visions of just needing to find that suit arm of strength x10, & the comfy undies of rad resistance. On reflection, keep my armor as one suit thanks.
Ezechial_Rage
Regular
Regular

Post by Ezechial_Rage »

I like the idea of multiple pieces of armor. You could go further into this and make random things you find as armor, or alter them somehow to afford yourself protection.
Rat Keeng
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Rat Keeng »

I never liked the fact that a pair of boots or a belt should provide extra protection. In Fantasy games, sure, boots and gauntlets and such can provide useful enchantments, but that really doesn't apply to sci-fi or post-apoc games like Fallout, it's more a matter of stopping bullets, and no magic bracers are gonna help you there.

Single armor, just like in Fallout, says i.
O-G-N-I-B
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

There are lots of games that are 2D with piece-wise armor that are visibly displayed. Diablo, Baldur's Gate(most any IE game for that matter), Prince of Qin, and so on.
------------------
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Saint_Proverbius wrote:There are lots of games that are 2D with piece-wise armor that are visibly displayed. Diablo, Baldur's Gate(most any IE game for that matter), Prince of Qin, and so on.
Might and Magic, X-Com: Apocalypse, and I think Nox does it as well, plus a few others.

Adding animation frames to armor overlay layers is quite easy to do. So much, by how an animater friend has been telling me, that I'm surprised that it wasn't done for Fallout, but nearly every one of those models has a different body structure. It's also better than the crap 3d displayed in Torn, to the point of putting the 3d ability of BIS into doubt.

Also, another thing to point out is how Lionheart does a 3d structuring with a 2d capture of it, from how I've seen it described as. In other words, it structures the model in a 3d way (not seen), and then derives a 2d sprite of it, on the fly. It still couldn't be called a 3d engine, though.

To top it off, in most 3d games, to save the effort of creating numerous armor skins for different models, there tends to be few models. Which kind of makes everyone look the same aside from some skins.
Last edited by Rosh on Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Rosh wrote:It's also better than the crap 3d displayed in Torn, to the point of putting the 3d ability of BIS into doubt.
You know, what put BIS's 3D ability into doubt for me was when Feargus Urquhart admitted (in a "Gaming Graveyard" feature on Torn at Gamespot) that one of the most important reasons for the cancellation of the game was that they simply had no idea how to do 3D graphics. They had guys from Monolith over all the time to help them out with LithTech and they eventually gave up.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

I really don't want FO3 to turn into Diablo.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Spazmo wrote: You know, what put BIS's 3D ability into doubt for me was when Feargus Urquhart admitted (in a "Gaming Graveyard" feature on Torn at Gamespot) that one of the most important reasons for the cancellation of the game was that they simply had no idea how to do 3D graphics. They had guys from Monolith over all the time to help them out with LithTech and they eventually gave up.
It's no surprise Torn was canned, either, since all BIS has done was use (or fuck up, depending upon your POV) stuff already done by others.

Then again, LithTech isn't exactly the easiest thing to work in, I've heard.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

the armor for items should not be added up, but averaged instead. so if you have a boot, lets say, that has like 10 armor points and a t-shirt with 3 or so, you wouldnt have 13 armor, but like 7 or so. and in combination with that, the boot would only protect the/that leg and would offer no extra protection or less of a chance to hit your chest wearing the t-shirt. that way you cant be uber wearing only gloves, boots and a hat or sometting like in a Dnd game.

btw pyro, funny avatar. is it just me or is micheal jackson just a crazy pedifile?
Shadow
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadow »

jerman999 wrote:I really don't want FO3 to turn into Diablo.
Do you actualy think that BIS would turn a Fallout game into a Diablo clone?
Valdis = Barfly = HackerZero = Shadow = 0wn3d.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

isnt lionhart by BIS (im not really following it)
in that case i wouldnt be surprized... but then again i would, in an outraged surprize!

i also really dont want fallout to be like diablo...
diablo is diablo, fallout is fallout, do not confuse them.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Lionheart is being developed by Reflexive, an outside developer.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Yes, but BIS is providing some kind of creative input. This basically means that we'll see the BIS logo on the LH box.

RPG Codex
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Spazmo wrote:Yes, but BIS is providing some kind of creative input. This basically means that we'll see the BIS logo on the LH box.
Like with Baldur's Garbage, right? :D
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

I think that it should be limited. Like your trusty leather armor only protects your chest, but not your hands or groin for example. Or you could like put a metal plate under your jacket to give better protection.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Rosh wrote:
Spazmo wrote:Yes, but BIS is providing some kind of creative input. This basically means that we'll see the BIS logo on the LH box.
Like with Baldur's Garbage, right? :D
Yup. You know, now that you mention it, I wonder if BIS is going to take Reflexive's engine (whose name escapes me at the moment) and then run it into the ground with an infinity (no, not Infinity) or poor to so-so RPGs?

RPG Codex
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Velocity Engine
------------------
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

spyder, that would be cool, but it would be hard to do. and actually, it would get pretty confusing. just adding different parts is fine with me. not really combining in one items slot.