Post-apocalyptic PNP fun

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Kreegle
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post-apocalyptic PNP fun

Post by Kreegle »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

Looky at what we have here... post-apocalyptic pen-and-paper goodness! Sounds so much like Fallout it's not funny - check this out:<blockquote><em>ATLANTA, GA, Nov 13, 2002 – <b>Sword & Sorcery Studios</b> is pleased to announce that it has acquired the rights from <b>Wizards of the Coast</b>, Inc. to publish a new edition of the famous <b>Gamma World</b> sci-fi campaign setting.

Gamma World was one of the very first roleplaying games with a science-fiction setting. It remains popular even today, years after the last edition came out. This fresh new launch, beginning with the Gamma World Player’s Handbook, will keep the high-adventure style while updating the setting concept. The game will be designed for complete compatibility with the popular d20 rules system created and published by Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

Gamma World takes place centuries after the Final Wars destroyed civilization as we know it. The world is overrun by mutants, monsters, still-functioning super-weapons with minds of their own and many other threats. The player-characters must apply their wits, courage and whatever powers and tools they can muster to survive, protect their tribe and begin the long climb back toward civilization.</em></blockquote>Sounds so familiar... oooh.

If you're intrigued, you can read more of the press release <a href="http://www.swordsorcery.com/swordsorcer ... World.html" target="_blank">here</a>. Cheers <a href="http://fallout.scifi.pl/index_eng.php" target="_blank">Ausir!</a>
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Cool beans. Of course, if I really wanted a PnP Fallout experience, I would just go to the totally free one that's actually Fallout.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

There's also another post-nuclear PnP game - Neuroshima (http://neuroshima.valkiria.net), which, according to its makers is very much inspired by Fallout, and is scheduled to be released next month. Unfortunately it's only in Polish, but here's a quote from it:

"Mexico didn't change much after the war. Nobody bothered to target it. It's still inhabited by big bad paprica-eating motherfuckers. "

Re: Post-apocalyptic PNP fun

Post by Guest »

Kreegle wrote:Looky at what we have here... post-apocalyptic pen-and-paper goodness! Sounds so much like Fallout it's not funny - check this out:
I thought it was the other way around? Wasteland (and later Fallout) was a blatant ripoff of Gamma World.
Spazmo wrote:Of course, if I really wanted a PnP Fallout experience, I would just go to the totally free one that's actually Fallout.
I would like to see a balanced, consistent, professionally made, *properly licensed* Fallout game in hardback... no offense meant by this to the creators of the Kinkos-ware game of course.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Re: Post-apocalyptic PNP fun

Post by OnTheBounce »

Anonymous wrote:I thought it was the other way around? Wasteland (and later Fallout) was a blatant ripoff of Gamma World.
Have you ever played Gamma World? It looks as though you haven't since GW's only real similarity to FO is the fact that both take place after a devastating nuclear war and both feature retro-tech. (Now if we can just get the designers to include a Bubblecar in FO3...) GW's system of magic-like mutations puts it closer to the Swords and Sorcery genre than SF.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"

Post by Guest »

Turn your statement around and ask it about Kreegle's comments on the press release. Has he ever played Fallout? It looks as though he hasn't since Fallout's only real similarity to GW is the fact that both take place after a devastating nuclear war and both feature retro-tech. Fallout's magic healing powders, weapon power-ups, and mutated cows & bugs put it closer to sci-fi than sci-fantasy. :roll:

I've played Fallout. I have also played Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World in various incarnations for 20+ years. Giant mutated bugs, raider gangs, secret societies of technology/mutant/radiation worshippers, talking animals*, scarce supplies of ammo, unreliable artifacts, insane robots cut off from their original orders... these are all just window dressing, of course.

Yeah, it actually is pretty hard to imagine Dragonplay (Black Isle) would be influenced by Jim Ward (creator of GW, and worked with Dragonplay on the goldbox games). You're probably right - the creators of Wasteland never played a single game of GW. The people at Black Isle, being big PnP gamers, never once set eyes on the most popular post-apoc RPG.

Oh wait, the very premise from FO1 is straight out of Metamorphosis Alpha - a group of survivors, cut of from the world (ship), must send out adventurers into the wilderness. There they must deal with icky mutants, tribals and radiation to find technology necessary to survive.

If you take offense to the term ripoff, I'm sorry. Perhaps homage would be a better word. Either way, talking about all this has made me want to play both again...

* oops, the talking raccoons were cut from FO1, must've been too obvious
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Saint_Proverbius »

Guest wrote:Turn your statement around and ask it about Kreegle's comments on the press release. Has he ever played Fallout? It looks as though he hasn't since Fallout's only real similarity to GW is the fact that both take place after a devastating nuclear war and both feature retro-tech.
Rats.. I was hoping to be the first one to rip on Kreegle for not knowing what Gamma World is.

Gamma World also has a hell of a lot more technology than Fallout did, and it's not exactly retro-tech either - not in the sense of Fallout's retro-tech, at least. It does feature mental like magic as well, which OtB pointed out.
I've played Fallout. I have also played Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World in various incarnations for 20+ years. Giant mutated bugs,
Which is a common theme in nuclear based sci-fi. If it didn't have those giant bugs, then they're probably shooting for more realism than anything else.
raider gangs,
Common theme in post apocalyptic settings. I don't think you can have a Post Apoc setting without raiders.
secret societies of technology/mutant/radiation worshippers,
Cults are common themes in just about everything. That's the nice thing about them, you can use them anywhere! :)
talking animals*,
Bad idea in general. :D
scarce supplies of ammo,
Which Fallout definitely didn't do, and I think it was good that Fallout didn't do it.

However, I really wouldn't claim that Gamma World was low on ammo either or technology, judging by the source books I read in the 1980s.
unreliable artifacts,
This is a cool idea that Fallout could have used more.
insane robots cut off from their original orders... these are all just window dressing, of course.
Insane robots wouldn't have fit well in Fallout, I don't think. Robots were fairly basic. Then again, Gamma World was much more advanced than Fallout's universe was prior to the BOOM.
------------------

Post by Guest »

Robots didnt work in the fallout universe period. It was a stupid additon.
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

The brainbot fit quite well, as well as Mr Handy.

The mech-like thing though is another story. Of course I won't even touch FO:T's robotic additions.
Barfly
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Barfly »

did the bots' in fo:t realy fit the Fallout universe?
Bye bye Valdis..
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Anonymous wrote:Turn your statement around and ask it about Kreegle's comments on the press release. Has he ever played Fallout? It looks as though he hasn't since Fallout's only real similarity to GW is the fact that both take place after a devastating nuclear war and both feature retro-tech.
Oh, is that so?
Gamma World takes place centuries after the Final Wars destroyed civilization as we know it. The world is overrun by mutants, monsters, still-functioning super-weapons with minds of their own and many other threats. The player-characters must apply their wits, courage and whatever powers and tools they can muster to survive, protect their tribe and begin the long climb back toward civilization.
Well, well.. fuck me if that doesn't sound similar to Fallout! Post-apocalyptic world, mutants, primitive tribes... golly.
Saint_Proverbius wrote:Rats.. I was hoping to be the first one to rip on Kreegle for not knowing what Gamma World is.
No, I've never played any pen and paper games, nor do I know anything about them. Excuse ME if the press release - directed at pnp newbies like me - doesn't give the impression that the game sounds similar to Fallout.
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

Don't forget that robots were also the main enemy in Fallout predecessor - Wasteland.
Barfly
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Barfly »

no way..thought the Guardians...sum sort of holy group was yor main enemy
Bye bye Valdis..
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

No, they're just a minor one.
Shadow
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Shadow »

I was introduced to the actual game Fallout while going to a search engine. I looked up "Wasteland Game" and while I did indeed find Wasteland, I also saw something about a game called "Fallout". I looked at the link(it was a preview from some on-line gaming magazine), read about the game and immediately took great interest in it. Wasteland seems to have influenced many games.
Valdis = Barfly = HackerZero = Shadow = 0wn3d.
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Kreegle wrote:No, I've never played any pen and paper games, nor do I know anything about them. Excuse ME if the press release - directed at pnp newbies like me - doesn't give the impression that the game sounds similar to Fallout.
n00b!
------------------

Post by Guest »

I'm a dipshit. I got SSI's goldbox group and Dragonplay/Black Isle mixed up (hey, there's a novelty - someone having identity problems with BI). I guess there is no Jim Ward - Interplay connection. Ah well, it sounded good, so what do the facts matter? :wink:
Mr. Anonymous

Post by Mr. Anonymous »

Just for Kreegle and any other noobs.

Back in the good old days their basically only two PnP franchises, AD+D and Traveller. Now AD+D of course came from a set of miniture rules called Chainmail, in case any of you ever wondered why D+D was so hack-n-slash centric.

Now sometime in the late 70's the mostly unknown game "Metamorphis Alpha" was made. The premise was a massive colony ship that has had an accident killing the crew, going off course and being exposed to radiation. Generations have now passed and the colonists descendants no longer realise their on a spaceship and each "pod" has developed its own tribal culture. Of course the whole thing is complete with mutants, robots and figuring out high-tech gadgets.

Now in the early-mid 80's TSR hit its "Golden Age" so to speak. And started pumping a bunch of non-D+D rpgs like Top Secret, Gangbusters, Boot Hill, Dawn of Aces, Star Frontiers and of course Gamma World.

Gamma World was basically Metamorphis Alpha reworked and set on Earth after a nuclear apoclypse. Still the basically the same premise, you start out as an ignorant tribal possibly with mutant powers. You go out and explore the world discovering all those nice little gadgets that helped destroy it in the first place. Anyone remember the flowchart of death? I think it ran for 3 editions before TSR killed themselves with the "Complete Book of Over-Merchandising" series.

Seems it even had a few competitors like Fantasy Games Unlimited's Aftermath and other games that escape my memory.

So in closing considering the similiarity of Fallout to MA/GW I'd say its pretty obvious the BI guys must have played them at some point.
Kreegle

Post by Kreegle »

Cheers Mr. Anonymous, that was actually pretty interesting. If I had the time, or knew anyone who gave a shit (my mates aren't really interested in anything like that at all), I'd be keen to learn how to play something like that
Saint_Proverbius
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Mr. Anonymous wrote:So in closing considering the similiarity of Fallout to MA/GW I'd say its pretty obvious the BI guys must have played them at some point.
Except that Black Isle didn't exist until 1998, a year after Fallout shipped and most of the Fallout developers left Interplay.

Fallout != Black Isle Game

Fallout 2 was their first title.
------------------