Vaults

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Yeah, maybe not indeed, since Necropolis was razed to the ground by the mutant armies. You could leave a bouquet of flowers at the monument or something, though.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

And I know!!! When you set the flowers on the monument Set's ghost should appear and hand you over the Gauntlets of SUPREME dexterity +18 if you manage to succesfully roll luck bonus twice!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Jimbo san
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Jimbo san »

Shhh... Kashluk, don't say that too loud, they might hear you.

*Peers over Kashluk's shoulder and sees Feargus make a note and run off*

Damn, too late. :P
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

That kinda sorta gives me an idea.... Maybe you could find some equipment that had been shelved somewhere by the Vault Dweller or the Tribal That Whupped The Enclave.
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Bad idea. That's just too easy. I know you probably don't mean right at the beginning (I hope so, anyways), but even so, you should never just stumble across a cache of the most powerful weapons and armor ever. You have to earn it. This is why buying Power Armor in San Francisco was bad.

RPG Codex
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I like the idea. Just some small house in the middle of the wasteland with weaponery rusted to the walls on stands, the dead chosen one in a tomb of his power armour and mabye one or two small parts if you manage to tear open a hatch.

I always wondered what happened to the vault dweller in fo1
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

I wasn't thinking of anything so grandiose as a "spare" suit of power armor, I was thinking more along the lines of a humorous random encounter with some of the Vault Dweller's/Tribal's "trash". In other words, some of the stuff that we have ditched in our games to save weight, because it wasn't worth selling since we had 89237 caps by then. Maybe some ammo and a basic firearm, along with some junk, lint, 158 pieces of drymeat, Myron's skull on a stick, keycards, and all of the old one-shot items like the Stables ID badge. You're right though, just "finding" a cache of whoopass stuff would make it too easy... unless trying to walk out with it activated all of the security robots that had been ignoring you...
I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. Unless I misunderstood the meaning of "insane".
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

Oh, yeah, that'd be a laugh. And it wouldn't be totally out of context, either. I like it.

RPG Codex
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Pyro wrote:I like the idea. Just some small house in the middle of the wasteland with weaponery rusted to the walls on stands, the dead chosen one in a tomb of his power armour and mabye one or two small parts if you manage to tear open a hatch.
I always wondered what happened to the vault dweller in fo1
I like this as well. I think that the "Wanderer's Diary"(or whatever it was called) in the FO2 manual mentions that some time after s/he established Arroyo, The Vault Dweller just walked off and vanished. This would be a nice tie-in.

Perhaps the Chosen One did something similar after establishing New Arroyo. Maybe he cleared out Navarro, blew up or blocked all of the entrances except the secret air duct one, and disguised the base as a (haunted?) ruin over the years. You find the entrance later and find his rusty APA sarcophagus in the Commander's quarters. Maybe the Chosen One is in a suspension tank, sensors detect intruders and awaken him to deal with interlopers...
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i think you should find some vault with (like the glow) that had some dead people and then a few in storage. because normal vaults didnt have storage tubes. and all the other people could be dead, because of... and cause exept having the vault openned. (heheh, water chip anyone?)

and you could revive them, and maybe all but one sshould die from that unfreezing thing (like that one soldier in the SAD that explodes after retreiving him from storage*redriderLE bbgun)

and then he could joing your team.
maybe he couldnt use stims or something, because of the shock.

that would be interesting.
Blarg
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by Blarg »

Meths wrote:You go to the cave and after a fight with some cave rats and all, what you find is a typical vault, full of robots
This gave me an idea. Thanks, Meths. What if a Vault was populated only with advanced robots and computers as part of some sort of artificial intelligence socialization experiment? Such a Vault might also contain AI's and humans in a cooperation experiment.
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

Blarg wrote: Such a Vault might also contain AI's and humans in a cooperation experiment.
...then, because of lack of power, robots converted those "humans" into "human batteries"... and we've got a perfect Matrix easter egg :lol: .

But seriously, you could find a vault with a lot of human bones and maschines that had apparently taken over, as a result of some unsuccesful human-AI cooperation experiment.
I like BIG guns...
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

That exact Easter Egg is already in FO:T.

RPG Codex
jerman999
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by jerman999 »

No more Easter Eggs...
Davide
Regular
Regular

Post by Davide »

What about a abandoned vault like your headquaters it would be cool !
PAPA ROACH IS X YOU ARE ALL Y
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Bad idea. There ain't really any use of owning "a base"... You could just do like me and wipe out Vice- I mean Vault City - and have it as your "base". Besides, no vault has such a sexy giant laser turrets :P
Aneurysm
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Aneurysm »

I agree with kashluk , owning a base is a really bad idea , there is no need for strategic elements , the hero will be too busy running around to have time to own a base .
And just like kashluk said , if you really want a place to stash your stuff , just choose , theres plenty of spots . In f2 I always choosed the pet shop boys garage because it had a lot of containers .
So no need to have f3 transformed in to a sims hybrid
:dead: In remembrance of Porcu :dead:
Duc
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Fallout 3

Post by Duc »

Should have vaults in it, they are very important to the series. It should at least have 1, and hopefully more like 4.

Experiments would be interetsing yes...I would be interested to find out what happened to Necropolis too. They never specified if Set died.

He could have taken the vault over, repaired it as best he could, and created a small city in it. The ghouls could have hidden from the super mutants in there, or at least some of them.

Set was the type to have a grand scheme in place, he does say. "Our time will be brighter next time.", or something like that. Implying he has something else planned.

He also has that secret door behind him, where in event of an invasion, he can quickly escape into the sewers.

Ghouls are such pack rats, so the living quarters would be a Ghoul market place, the front door would have quite a few Ghouls guards with spears, but possibly they have some combat armor, or something they got their hands on.

I can imagine ghouls in combat armor, but still using weak weapons like shotguns, spears, knives, or fists. Set could live on the 3rd level, and be in the back computer room.

The story could be they sold their water to the Brotherhood in return for combat armor, and weapons/technology to repair their vault. That is what I think would be neat.
SubZenith
SDF!
SDF!

Vaults++

Post by SubZenith »

I agree with the person who said the generic vault layout had become watered out. The design of vaults should be made carefully, with the glow as a shining example. In compliance with the look and feel of the wasteland setting, vaults could be; filled with ghouls, occupied by mutants, submerged (radioactive waste/water?), housing a brothel, filled with people reciting popular 60's television series, be "the army vault" (filled with highly trained, genetically engineered soldiers & combat equipment/vehicles), the site of religious worship/fanatics, filled with lunatics/fearful people (Driven mad by the isolation or just "the asylum vault"?), they could also be abanoned but electronically guarded, or "the safehaven vault", the last outpost still resisting the advancing enemy menace...

In addition, the new arch enemy could be the brotherhood of steel itself. With a new leader, possibly sporting a moustache, they could have been driven to extremes..."Steel jugend" anyone? (or kampfgruppe Steel?) I am willing to accept almost anything, if only BI could develop what we all yearn for...FO3.

Another enemy could be the protagonist from FO2... the sentient machine conspiracy theory would also work nice...Could make it hard to wear powered armour in the later sections of the game... (in my opinion that would be welcome, as powered armour always has tipped the balance too much).
Fallout 3 won't happen you say? Awwww, don't be cruel!
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Post by DarkUnderlord »

Thing is, a generic vault layout makes sense. A large corporation ordered to make several vaults for the government is likely to follow a standard pattern. Like those homes that pop-up in development areas. All the same.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage