Garl

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Pastorius
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Garl

Post by Pastorius »

What makes Garl Deathhand (I think that was his name, I'm talking about the leader of the Khans) think the vault dweller's the ghost of his father? It happened to me during some of my games and I didn't know what triggered this event. Is it the leather jacket?
DJ Slamák
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Re: Garl

Post by DJ Slamák »

Pastorius wrote:What makes Garl Deathhand (I think that was his name, I'm talking about the leader of the Khans) think the vault dweller's the ghost of his father? It happened to me during some of my games and I didn't know what triggered this event. Is it the leather jacket?
From what I heard, it's supposed to be the Combat Armor; never got it with any armor myself though.
Walking Refrigerator
Regular
Regular

Post by Walking Refrigerator »

Interesting... never had anything like it.
Before the war, they were know as milking machines.
Now I use one to piss.
Does that answer your question?
ChickenSlam
SDF!
SDF!

Post by ChickenSlam »

You need to be strong,and you need the leather Jacket. There is still a chance you can't get it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

A well hidden (easter egg) thingy in the grandgrand-old Fallout! Image I'm impressed!
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

I had all ten stats and leather jacket when I got it. I think it depends on charisma and intelligence, though.

I cheated through to Junktown, then decided I'd give it a go with a normal character. I was actually looking to see what differences in the game the stats made. After I'd use a super guy, I'd knock one down, then the next seeing the differences.
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

i had it wearing my vault suit
so it's probably the 10 int 10 cha thingy
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

It would sure enlighten the situation, if we knew what kind of a person Garl's father was :)

Was he a stubborn red-neck with flawed attitude? Then I doubt it's 10 Int & 10 Cha...
Radoteur
Desert Wanderer
Desert Wanderer

Post by Radoteur »

It would probably require some intelligence, since a moron isn't going to be smart enough to pick up subtle signs like body language. A more intelligent person will know how to pretend to be someone else, while knowing little about them.
Charisma would be the ablity to deal with people, which includes, but is not limited to appearances. I think the game's description talks about charm.

I also doubt that it is ten charisma and intelligence, but one would probably need some intelligence, and charisma wouldn't hurt.
Mailbox Man!
Yar.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

sweet, nice find. yet another thing to add to my "replay" list. mmm hmm, after i gather enough, ill face the terrifieing Manual installation and constant errors, just to play it again!
Fang_Teng
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Fang_Teng »

I created a 2 charisma and 10 (or 9) intel character and tried it a few days ago. It worked the second time I entered the Raider's base (and this was still before the Tandi quest).
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

Heh. Cool beans. At least it's something new in Fo I can actually look at. Unlike Fo2 :P
Demon-X
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Demon-X »

I just got it the death hand thing too.

I dont think its the all 10stats tho.

ST 6
PE 6
EN 7
Ch 5
IN 6
AG 8
LK 9

I have the leather jacket aswell, mebbe its the luck.
Duc
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Garl

Post by Duc »

I do not think the stats have too much to do with it. What I gathered from the event when it happened was that Garls father was perhaps a Vault Dweller.

One time when I went to the camp to get Tandi back, I was in the vault suit, even the guards were afraid.

Making Garl afraid probably is not stat based, but scaring him into freeing Tandi, or risking his fathers wrath is probably what requires the intelligence, possibly speech.

I think this, because if you say the wrong things he will not free her, but instead attacks you.
Dogar
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Dogar »

Pretty sure it's luck. On my second time through I played a character with 10 and got the same result. It's makes sense when you think of it, you'd have to be a lucky bastard to look exactly like Garl's father.
Warlord
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Warlord »

I've got this many times

Unfortunately, I don't have any clue of the required stats and/or skills.
- May the blood of thine enemies stain the ground -
atoga
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by atoga »

ya just have to show up at the base once wearing the leather... you can return at any time later wearing anything and still get it. it also requires a bit of LK (and the usual IN).
Ausir
The Vault Overseer
The Vault Overseer

Post by Ausir »

According to the script file, if you're male and your luck is higher than 8, then you have 50% chance of being mistaken for Garl's father.

if GetStat(Player,34)=0 then begin
if (GetStat(Player,6)>8 AND Rnd(0,1)) then begin
GVAR[116]:=1;
end;
end;