The Game Informer Article

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

At this point in time, I'd like to ask: Who didn't expect this to happen? I think you'd have to be terribly naive to expect any better. Then again, at the same time, I myself am surprised at just how right the fan community was.

It looks now that an Oblivion with guns is assured. That's immutable, meaning that the gameplay's going to be pretty shit. (I'm of the opinion that only one game got a FPS/RPG mix right so far, and that's System Shock 2.) However, if they can get some decent dialogue going, get some moral ambiguity, make diplomacy and stealth choices more than just secondary, things like that, I might check it out. Sure, it won't be Fallout, but it may have the potential for an alright game outside that. I'm as pissed off as most that it isn't isometric, that no real turn-based option is present, and that certain things in the setting aren't very good, but taking that out of account, it may be OK.

As for the Fatman, I think that would be a great weapon - in another setting; Unreal or something like that. And they probably won't give it to you early - why would they? You wouldn't get the full benefit of the "gun erosion" if you got a weapon like that early on.

Finally, who's with me that despite this not being a proper Fallout, it'll probably get RPG of the Year 2008 anyway?
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
edhead
Vault Scion
Vault Scion

Post by edhead »

RAK wrote:Finally, who's with me that despite this not being a proper Fallout, it'll probably get RPG of the Year 2008 anyway?
QFT
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

the fatman shouldn't be something you could carry on your person. nor should it be something you're using in an enclosed space (ie the trudgery of a sewer/dungeon crawl) especially not when they've got you micromanaging just how much radiation you're taking in. ugh.

I don't think it getting RPG o the year 2k8 is going to happen unless Mass Effect bombs completely..

Mass Effect hype train > BethSoft's hype train
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

edhead wrote:EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_Crock ... ar_device)
Sounds fifties. Sounds Fallout. You fail.
Ok, fine, a personal nukular weapon is plausible, though not likely...

BUT, why didn't they just include the Davy Crockette itself?

Why does Beth need to make their very own HAND-HELD-BFG-NUKULAR-WEAPON-OF-ULTIMATE-DOOM-TO-SHOOT-ORCS-WITHâ„¢?
It sounds and looks very stupid.

Besides, the Davy Crockett was a weapon with a range of 2-4 km (source: Wikipedia), not 10-20 m (!) which the Fat Man seems to have.

P.S.

To be fair, though the Davy Ckrockett project was conceived in the fifties, the weapon was first made available to troops in the beginning of the sixties.
Killzig wrote:.../ sloppily slapped together half wittedly
Haha. Beautiful. When will we see new Kiddie Pool material?
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Alexander wrote:Ok, fine, a personal nukular weapon is plausible, though not likely...
No it isn't. The Davy Crockett was a multiple personel weapon. The Fatman is described as a handheld nukular grenade thrower that you shoot at a nearby supersupermutant who goes up in a cloud of radioactive dust, or something.

Nearby + nuclear explosion + smallest nuclear device available still has a blast radius equal to 10 tons of TNT = very, very stupid
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Stainless
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Stainless »

But fallout has lasers and plasma and miniguns!!11 inplausable!11!!!
Brother None
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Brother None »

Stainless wrote:But fallout has lasers and plasma and miniguns!!11 inplausable!11!!!
Verisimilitude.
Ozrat wrote:I haven't been so oppressed since prom in 9th grade.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Am I the only one that's completely fucking borked out of his mind more by the inconsistency of their own design ideas (let's make them scared of radiation... no wait, let's have them bask in it in the sewers!)?

How is this game even going to reach a level of consistency within itself, let alone within the FO universe? This is the same shit that made Oblivion unbearable, yes there were multiple quest lines but no cohesion or interaction. This is the sort of thing that is completely lambasted in every other form of media yet mainstream gamers readily embraced because they're so fucking stoned, drunk or stupid that shiny giblets are all it takes to appease them. They might as well have bought the licensing rights for Battlefield Earth. FUCK THAT and fuck a kiddie pool, it's not happening.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
DaC-Sniper
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by DaC-Sniper »

Killzig wrote:Mass Effect hype train > BethSoft's hype train
I personally would call Mass Effect hype as deserved hype, the design of the game with alien bitches and Toad head aliens looks awesome, there are also some dialogues(a lil bit short of course and mostly stuff liek "Shut up, i am the commander! etc.), but as long there are choices and consequences it can`t be a bad game. Probably somehwere near KOTOR headed or maybe better, dunno. It`s not a new Fallout, but still. Bethesda`s hype is liek "WE FEEL LIEK WE HAVE MADE THE PRIOR FALLOUTS". It is just pure bullshit. And now they come up with bad design choices en masse.

Okay deserved hype sounds stupid and the PiP-boy 3000 has a good design, from what i have read, which is the only great thing so far.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

For the record, I think the new combat system is bullshit. However, unlike some of you, I think it might be better than pure RT. (yeah I think KOTOR combat is better for an RPG wannabe than HalfLife combat)
The Mutie looks plain horrible. Generic badass monster. Not Fallouty at all.

Good thing they're trying to implement combat/sneak/diplomacy choice.
'radiation matters' affair also sounds interesting.
And yay we get a dog (companion) and a nice pipboy! :joy:
VasikkA wrote:I'm worried that BoS members and supermutants become commonplace objects in the wasteland, just because they look so cool.
my feelings exactly
TelemachusSneezed wrote:
"A massive undetonated bomb sits in a crater at the center of town... some insane religious zealot kneels at its base..." :retch: terribly unoriginal.
please no more spoilers of this sort. Of any sort actually. I'm purposely not reading the article 'cos I don't wanna know no fucking details, k? D: I've already learnt too much about the game's beginning.
TelemachusSneezed wrote: pre-teens.
now you're really spooking me.
VasikkA wrote: Stick with relevant fallacies plz.
that's the sweetest thing I've heard in a while :D
Brother None wrote:
Killzig wrote:how much do you love that diplomacy and stealth are secondary methods/after thoughts in the quest design process?
Baldur's Gate?
wait, you're telling me BG had diplomacy and stealth options? :yikes:
Brother None wrote: The Fatman is described as a handheld nukular grenade thrower that you shoot at a nearby supersupermutant who goes up in a cloud of radioactive dust, or something.
Dear god... maybe it's a joke.. I mean MAYBE FUCKING MAYBE?!
Alexander
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Alexander »

Brother None wrote:
Alexander wrote:Ok, fine, a personal nukular weapon is plausible, though not likely...
No it isn't. The Davy Crockett was a multiple personel weapon. The Fatman is described as a handheld nukular grenade thrower that you shoot at a nearby supersupermutant who goes up in a cloud of radioactive dust, or something.

Nearby + nuclear explosion + smallest nuclear device available still has a blast radius equal to 10 tons of TNT = very, very stupid
Did you even read my post beyond the first sentence?

Edit:
PiP wrote:yeah I think KOTOR combat is better for an RPG wannabe than HalfLife combat
But it is not KOTOR combat, it is just RT with pause... like Max Payne "bullet-time".
KOTOR had rounds, in which each charecter had a limited amount of actions (based on his/her stats), so it resembled "turns".
Fo3 on the other hand, sounds like plain RT that you may pause at your leisure and issue commands that will be performed after you un-pause it.
'radiation matters' affair also sounds interesting.
Sounds like STALKER.
And yay we get a dog (companion) and a nice pipboy! :joy:
Dog is good, I am content with the looks of pipboy.
TelemachusSneezed wrote: pre-teens.
now you're really spooking me.
Beth's secret passion for loli -- revealed!
Brother None wrote: The Fatman is described as a handheld nukular grenade thrower that you shoot at a nearby supersupermutant who goes up in a cloud of radioactive dust, or something.
Dear god... maybe it's a joke.. I mean MAYBE FUCKING MAYBE?!
Let us hope so.
TelemachusSneezed
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by TelemachusSneezed »

Killzig wrote:Am I the only one that's completely fucking borked out of his mind more by the inconsistency of their own design ideas (let's make them scared of radiation... no wait, let's have them bask in it in the sewers!)?
That's what I was commenting on earlier, about how casually they throw around "nucular radiashuns"! Bothers the hell out of me too.

You know, I bet you can only use that nuclear catapult thingy once you get a suit of power armor. The BOS seems to appear early in the game, so I'll also bet you get it about 1/4 of the way through the game.
Death to quotes.
Mechanurgist
Strider
Strider

Post by Mechanurgist »

RAK wrote:At this point in time, I'd like to ask: Who didn't expect this to happen? I think you'd have to be terribly naive to expect any better. Then again, at the same time, I myself am surprised at just how right the fan community was.

... I'm as pissed off as most that it isn't isometric, that no real turn-based option is present, and that certain things in the setting aren't very good, but taking that out of account, it may be OK.
It's still possible the game will have brilliant dialogue and a fascinating story.

:hahano:

Hahaha , oh, oh - excuse me - I think I need to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing too much.

RAK wrote:...Finally, who's with me that despite this not being a proper Fallout, it'll probably get RPG of the Year 2008 anyway?

Of course. The market for real RPGs has been denuded of everything that once made it great. I can't imagine anything other than Mass Effect giving it any competition whatsoever. Unless some sappy, crappy Final Fantasy XIVCM comes out at the same time.

Computer RPGs, I weep for thee.
Death: "Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me!"
Dogmeatlives
Living Legend
Living Legend

Post by Dogmeatlives »

I just got the magazine in the mail today and god is this game going to suck. For some reason the suckiness keeps surprising me....

R.I.P. Fallout. You were a good friend :dead:
Wasteland Radio, with Charlie C.
Cthulhugoat
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Cthulhugoat »

Dogmeatlives wrote:I just got the magazine in the mail today and god is this game going to suck. For some reason the suckiness keeps surprising me....

R.I.P. Fallout. You were a good friend :dead:
Anything different from the scans?