Far Cry. Yep, I had to post this.

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Yeah, I ran the demo fine, I didn't bother trying to run it on higher settings because what it was ran just fine and dandy.
off topic? OMG YOU'VE BEEN CENSORED... yet you're still posting. MYSTARY!!!!

Duck and Cover: THE site for all your Fallout needs
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

The first Far Cry patch was released
click here, foo!

It's made a big difference for me, even though it wasn't necessarily needed. Before the patch "Cry Vision" or nightvision made enemies appear bright white. It looked cool. Kinda reminded me of those police helicopters chasing people at night. After the patch they have a real heat signature like in Predator. Even cooler.

OK, I just went back in and set everything on High and Ultra High with the same resolution just to see if the improved shader speed was for real. Holy shit, the game runs just as good if not better than when I had everything set High and Medium. When I first installed the game these settings made things stutter quite a bit. There's a bunch of new details I didn't notice like how scopes work when you're not looking through them. Trees and plants create much more prominent shadows. The whole package generally looks two or three times better. If one 26 MB patch can improve the game that much then developers need to take notes or something.
Bleusilences
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Bleusilences »

I dont have a strong enough comp to run it correctly. I finish the demo but to work on my comp I cannot see forest unless they are at 2 meter radius of me. So I have to wait for the xbox version, I wish it would be a good port.
CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Man, that demo was nice. I had no problem running it on medium settings. Only problem I really did have was the first time I ramped onto the shore of the island guns blazing, and that’s my own fault. One feature I would like would be a sticking crouch button, so I don’t spend all my time holding it. That sniper rifle was crazy, I was shooting people down at the base of the island from the top thing where the satellite dish is. Pretty cool.

Does anyone know about the multiplayer? I would be in love with this game if it has co-op modes.
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Already told you. Deathmatch, team deathmatch, and "assault" orsomething. Uses three classes (grunt, sniper, engineer). At least thats what the interview I read said. Co-op will come in time with mods, hopefully.

EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

WOW! Patching actuallly made a HUGE difference for once.

Quick note CloudNine, the patch includes a sorely missed crouch toggle so we're set.

I'm now able to have every setting at its highest and still go no lower than 30 - 35 fps, with an average of about 40 - 45 fps...kick ass. (I'm using \r_displayinfo 1 to check out fps, p/sec and current polys on screen)

Just for comparison...pre-patch, there were issues with the shadows...if I had it on high+, it would easily chug me down to (no joke) 5 fps...same exact view with shadows at medium...60 fps. BIG difference now. You'd argue keep it at medium...no...its just not the same. Seeing the shadows interacting with you and your weapon, and foliage casting on the ground and all objects...its verisimilitude guys. You know its missing so when its there, damn, beautiful.

The cryvision is awesome now, as I can pick out faint heat traces like max said, making it much easier to work a forest where I'm getting flanked and dudes are crouched in tall grass.

Oh and I'm STILL playing...my GAWD is this thing long...it just gets better and better.

Cheers
jetbaby
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by jetbaby »

Must... buy...

CloudNineGT
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by CloudNineGT »

Has anyone had trouble with water at higher settings? Its probably either the demo or my computer being stupid, but I get these weird blue columns inside the water, and something that looks like blue lightning. It's probably my computers miserable attempt to have lighting effects..
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Its definetly the Demo. The demo acted kinda weird on my computer and in some points it seemed slow. After I patched the game I can run it at just about its highest settings with no slow down at all. Unfortunetly this does not help because I was dumb enough to play on "Realistic" setting. Anotherwards "1001 ways to frustrate you."
Harriers for the cup.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Speaking of water...my gAWd....on Ultra High, you get fresnel reflection and refraction....just fucking brilliant.

I'm giddy at the same time INFURIATED that I trudged through a section painfully slow, only to get rammed by another boat as I blow it up, thus blowing me up. Banging desk and internal screaming ensued. :censored:

...but its the kinda frustration that has you coming back for more...

Cheers
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I got it delivered this morning. Seems like I got the copy right at the bottom though as the case is pretty dirty. I also ended up getting a 5cd version when I have 2 dvd drives.

That wouldn't be too bad except the installation keeps crashing on cd 2. Unless music.pak is everything on cd2?
:chew:
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

Does it really crash, or seem to hang, and then you cancel it? It appeared to hang as well for me, but no, that was just the massive pak file slowly chugging away...let it sit.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I let it sit then it had a fatal error after trying to install cryvision demo or something.

I might take out the cd-drive from downstairs and put it in this temporarily. That or I'm going to have to wait a week for them to send me a replacement copy.

edit: Ha, just needed to reset a few times, re-install direct x 9 and shout at my momma for a while about being connected to the internet. Also taking the stuff off the top of my tower where the dvd drive is underneath might have helped?

Cheers mate.
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

I was going to suggest yelling at someone, preferrably your mother, yea...so it worked cool. :dance:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Finally got it working. The lighting needed a bit of tweaking as that slows my game down a lot. It's pretty fun though. I'm just going for the commando type route. It has mixed success, usually I get killed before I even see whose killing me, but other times a suprise attack under cover of daylight makes even the AI shit themselves in fear.

It's good so far. My 5.1 setup finally seems to be paying off. Pity my graphics card is shit, I'll just wait until Christmas or something bizarro.

i'm lovin it.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

Evog, is that a pic from the River level? Playing through it reminded me of Apocalypse Now. A Vietnam game with the Far Cry engine would rock so hard. And after the big battle at the end I still can't believe the game isn't over. Easily have been playing over 30 hours.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

The game could use a quicksave or limited save thingy, but not having it makes you think a bit more. Like on the second level, instead of running about on the deck, dodging the chopper and all the goons I just jumped off the side, shot the chains that held the boat up and drove off.

on mission 4 now, pretty good. The buggys and cars don't work very well unless it's a road, but otherwise I like everything else.
Hertston
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Hertston »

A landmark game in many ways, with huge modding potential (especially with folks getting so pissed with waiting for HL2).

Single player is the best since Half-Life. It's just let down by multiplay that is very, very ordinary.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Is there a good method for killing mutants? I can usually kill them individually, though outdoors and in groups I usually keep dying.

Still lovin' it. But the mutants are annoying? As is the chopper at the end of every level so far.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Honestly, I think the water looked better in Morrowind(!). Just my opinion, though.