Doom

Talk about music, movies, TV, books, other types of entertainment and what your vices are. Also, if you're addicted to the high you get off Aspirin, this is the place to talk about it.

Will you see it?

PEEK A BOOO
37%
Citizen Kane is my fav
11%
i dont have time
53%

Total votes: 19

Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I recognize Citizen Kane as an important and masterfully made film, a landmark by all means, it just holds no personal resonance with me. I can appreciate it but it is far from my favorite.
my vocabulary skills is above you.
PiP
Last, Best Hope of Humanity

Post by PiP »

I suppose "Citizen Kane is my fav" was figuratively used for "I recognize Citizen Kane as an important and masterfully made film, a landmark by all means" in the poll.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

I thought it was pretty over rated?
PiP

Post by PiP »

don't know the ratings exactly, I liked "C.Kane" a lot.
BTW, I've just found something related to the topic:
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

I thought it was exeptionally overrated the first time I saw it, then I studied it and got a context for it as well as looked in detail at the technique and how light was used as a storytelling device. It wasn't until then that I gained respect for it. Still, not my favorite or even in my top 20 but an incredible landmark in film none the less.
Wolfman Walt
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Wolfman Walt »

Someone actually had a seizure when I went to see Doom so that comic may be more true then we'd like to believe.
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

The citizen kane option was a screen for "i am a swell guy." The first one was "yes" and the last one was "no, and i am part swell guy."
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

citizen kane wasn't that good. Espeacially compared to recent movies like say...godfather or whatever. For it's time it was good, but even then I'd prefer to watch laurel and hardy :salute:

They're making a quake movie by the way, you better show up on set and make your demans huh.
PiP

Post by PiP »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote:The citizen kane option was a screen for "i am a swell guy." The first one was "yes" and the last one was "no, and i am part swell guy."
I kind of predicted that a liking for films which don't consist in mindless action + eyecandy / slapstick "humour" is going to be labelled "OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone." What can I say.. :hahano: :clap: :eyebrow:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Citizen Kane certainly was good, and it certainly is a quality movie, even nowadays, but at least the 3/4 of people who say they like it are assholes who wanna look witty.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Citizen Kane certainly was good, and it certainly is a quality movie, even nowadays, but at least the 3/4 of people who say they like it are assholes who wanna look witty.
Amen
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Personally, I thought the movie was fucking boring.
Aonaran
Striding Hero
Striding Hero

Post by Aonaran »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Personally, I thought the movie was fucking boring.
Well, you know, most 64 year old movies tend to be.
PiP

Post by PiP »

the only "boring" part was all the newspaper headlines in the beginning. When that ended, my attention got grabbed and I followed Mr Kan eagerly till the end of the film. (What a character!)
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Rosebud!
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

I'd like to violate your rosebud :eyebrow:
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

It's already filled up!
MR Snake
Chinderella
Chinderella

Post by MR Snake »

King of Creation wrote:Yeah...it was kind of stupid to say that all the demons were just mutated people. It definitely leaves room for a sequal, however, with all of the talk and no walk to the infamous "Dig Site."
Well thanks alot for that dickhead. Not like im gonna go see it tomorrow or anything.
Do these glasses and my two chins make me look sexy?
POOPERSCOOPER
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by POOPERSCOOPER »

I bought Citizen Kane and laurance of arabia years ago to look smarty and witty. At the time I was like "if i like movies so much i got to be able to like these" but they were just okay. Like Megatron said, they were probably great for their time but a lot of it has been redone and imrpoved over the years that I can't really forget that and say that "omg old school is better" when i never lived around that time.

I dont like people who praise those movies just because you have to like sophisticated movies to be heard or respected. I'm back to the basics, I've always liked shoot em' ups and action. A lot of arnolds and stallones movies are my favorite and I think they are good movies regardless of nostalgia.
PiP

Post by PiP »

POOPERSCOOPER wrote: a lot of it has been redone and imrpoved over the years
what exactly was improved over Citizen Kane and where?
I dont like people who praise those movies just because you have to like sophisticated movies to be heard or respected.
What about people who praise those films because they hold them in high regard?
I've always liked shoot em' ups and action. A lot of arnolds and stallones movies are my favorite and I think they are good movies regardless of nostalgia
The medium is not enough for a common denominator sometimes;
you just can't compare films whose 'goodness' is measured by the quantity of violence, fast action, special effects, blood, explosions, muscles, fancy firearms and such with those where what matters is a fascinating story, psychological depth of well-rounded characters, artistic presentation, overall emotional and intellectual impact on the viewer.

I'm not saying that action films are only watched by morons; on the contrary, I happen to watch an action flick myself sometimes. Be it just because I, say, have a liking for a particular type of setting (e.g. SF setting in 'Aliens')
It's just they are a different category.