Vaults

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Kashluk

Re: Fallout 3

Post by Kashluk »

Duc wrote:Experiments would be interetsing yes...I would be interested to find out what happened to Necropolis too. They never specified if Set died.
Set is alive and kicking, thank you very much. He's sipping his whiskey in the Café of Broken Dreams, because his son called him an asshole.
Armisael
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by Armisael »

I actually like the re-use of the generic Vault design. When you're exploring an area you expect to be familiar with, it's more of a shock when you find something different. Plus it's more logical.

Personally, I never liked the whole "sociological experiment" plot twist in Fallout 2, so I chose to ignore it for the most part. The only way it's even remotely feasible is if the government decided to abandon the Vault project during or after the War, and then Richardson later thought it might be a good idea to mess with some peoples' heads. I mean, why would they go to the trouble of building a bunch of Vaults just for the sake of some big, stupid experiment? I prefer to imagine that it all went wrong because of Vault-Tec's poor planning, and/or because the population weren't really expecting the War to happen. That being said, things did go horribly wrong and there's still plenty of room to make use of that. There are certainly dozens of unexplored Vaults around. They would've been built all over the US, so there's no reason they should all be squished into the relatively small landmass we've had the chance to explore in Fallout 1 and 2.

Maybe a Vault with a malfunctioning door where cabin fever set in, nobody could get out and everyone eventually went crazy... or a Vault where people began to rebel and the Overseer declared martial law. Lots of neat possibilities. Yay Vaults.