Game you're playing. How far you are.

Discuss anything from Age of Empires to Wasteland. Any gaming talk that isn't Fallout-related goes here.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Are you talking the free roam criminal genre?

While there are plenty of different ones, each has a different story to tell and its way of telling it, along with differences of the mechanics, etc. Observing them all as equivalent/identical is a rather poor generalization.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Manoil wrote:Are you talking the free roam criminal genre?
Yes.

Even Red Dead Redemption wasn't all that great. Sure the story was told well but yeah that's about it.

All they are these days are just "Interesting to play", they fail to make an impact on the grander scale.

I'm just waiting for a Western RPG is all I think. =)
Yonmanc
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Yonmanc »

Stalagmite wrote:Seriously the urban gangster shit is getting rather old isn't it? Someone needs to wrap it up once and for all so we can move on.
Not really. I felt with GTA 4 they did something very different with it. The characters were more fleshed out, the city itself had a lot more going on. As for other games with an urban gangster setting? Most do suck, most games in any genre suck. Personally however, I think the GTA series has outdone itself with every main release (never bothered with the gameboy shit), and other titles with a gangster theme are good too. For example, can't wait to finally get my hands on Mafia 2, and I dunno if you ever played it, but Whiptail made a RTS called Gangland, which sees you as a Mafia boss controlling an organised crime ring, which was a great game.
SenisterDenister
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by SenisterDenister »

My favorite GTA game was San Andreas. CJ was probably my favorite character in the series, that and Tenpenny was a fucking badass bad cop.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

SenisterDenister wrote:My favorite GTA game was San Andreas. CJ was probably my favorite character in the series, that and Tenpenny was a fucking badass bad cop.
Tenpenny is one of my all time fave fictional characters.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Yonmanc,

I will download it and get back to you on it. It may be fun to play on a gaming standpoint I'll give you that, but the goomba, mink, Kike urban "Connections, dont rat me out holmes" shit I am just fed up with. That kind of stuff no longer holds any sort of sway because it's been overdone.

But yes, if there is a game out there that lets you be a mob boss where you have to be extremely careful of the decisions you make or risk getting killed or "ratted out" than it may be interesting to play.
Yonmanc

Post by Yonmanc »

Stalagmite wrote:Yonmanc,

I will download it and get back to you on it. It may be fun to play on a gaming standpoint I'll give you that, but the goomba, mink, Kike urban "Connections, dont rat me out holmes" shit I am just fed up with. That kind of stuff no longer holds any sort of sway because it's been overdone.

But yes, if there is a game out there that lets you be a mob boss where you have to be extremely careful of the decisions you make or risk getting killed or "ratted out" than it may be interesting to play.
Well, it isn't as in depth as that, it's a bit more action oriented. Although from what I remember Gangsters 2 had a lot of that stuff.
Frater Perdurabo
Paragon
Paragon

Post by Frater Perdurabo »

Yonmanc wrote:
Stalagmite wrote:Seriously the urban gangster shit is getting rather old isn't it? Someone needs to wrap it up once and for all so we can move on.
Not really. I felt with GTA 4 they did something very different with it. The characters were more fleshed out, the city itself had a lot more going on. As for other games with an urban gangster setting? Most do suck, most games in any genre suck. Personally however, I think the GTA series has outdone itself with every main release (never bothered with the gameboy shit), and other titles with a gangster theme are good too. For example, can't wait to finally get my hands on Mafia 2, and I dunno if you ever played it, but Whiptail made a RTS called Gangland, which sees you as a Mafia boss controlling an organised crime ring, which was a great game.
The PC port was a total failure.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

The PC port had problems at first, but the patching got it up to speed.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
SenisterDenister

Still, it doesn't have the charm or campiness of San Andreas that I liked. I'm fine with never getting it (again).
Blargh
Ãœberkommando
Ãœberkommando

YES

Post by Blargh »

GTA 2 was the zenith of the series. Yes. :drunk:
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

SenisterDenister wrote:Still, it doesn't have the charm or campiness of San Andreas that I liked. I'm fine with never getting it (again).
San Andreas was good but I don't think it matched GTA 4 in terms of depth of narrative or character development. Iconic, sure, and definitely fun to mod, but I found Bellic's tale the most relatable human experience of sympathy to desperation, and by extension, violence as a means of survival. Even with knowing his image was essentially xeroxed from the assassin in Behind Enemy Lines, I feel he deserves more respect as a character than Claude, Tommy Vercetti, or CJ, even though all of the latter were unique and iconic by their own devices.

But then again, if it was campiness you're looking for in particular, the older GTAs are probably the right place to look. All you need now is a mod that adds Adam West's voice to random parts of gameplay
Last edited by Manoil on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Thank you, Mr. Blargh, just when I thought humanity was worthless you show up to quell my gay lustings.

PS, since I'm unsure of the maturity of the modern DAC'er I'll add that if you take me seriously you're an utter OH SHIT I HEAR THE ICE CREAM TRUCK!!!!!111!1111oneone.

EDIT: Word filters? Whose idea was this? Pretty fucking low.
Whose the cocksucker who did this? Smiley?
SenisterDenister

Yeah Danny, its all about what you're looking for in a game. The older ones (I guess I'll just have it limited to the 3 series) were my favorites growing up, mainly because it had the in-your-face interface of being a third person shooter but still kept most of the seriousness at bay most of the time (unless when it needed to be serious, of course).

GTA IV was, well, too realistic and gritty for my tastes. I've heard the Ballad of Gay Tony kind if hearkens back to the older games but after what I went through when I bought the PC port when it first came out I don't ever want it on my computers again.

Not saying its a bad game, I'd just rather play something else is all.
Manoil
Wastelander's Nightmare
Wastelander's Nightmare

Post by Manoil »

Stalagmite wrote:Thank you, Mr. Blargh, just when I thought humanity was worthless you show up to quell my gay lustings.

PS, since I'm unsure of the maturity of the modern DAC'er I'll add that if you take me seriously you're an utter swell guy.

The filter was originally "flower." I changed it to "swell guy" by suggestion from another DACer on facebook.
But I think I understand what you say. I should now and forever view your words, and by extension, the whole of your existence, as utterly inconsequential.

k
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

Stalagmite for Swellest Guy 2010.
- the Vault Dweller
Tofu Man
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Tofu Man »

Figures I'd only find a way to deal with the game's most annoying aspect long after I was done with it.

I'm with Dino on this one. San Andreas is by far the better game.

GTA 4 has its head so far up its own with trying to be realistic, that it forgets people play games for fun. Besides, other than prettier graphics and a new physics engine (and "hey cousin let's go bowling") what does GTA 4 do that San Andreas doesn't do better? Smaller map, less vehicles, no tuning, no airplanes, the same missions we've already played on previous offerings, crap modding, not to mention that it runs like shit on a PC.
My biggest gripe is that it starts to feel like a chore before you've even finished the storyline.

Me, I'd get that physics engine and make a new Carmageddon. ASAP.
Superhaze
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Superhaze »

I'm having a go at world of tanks, the MMO tank battle game. So far I've gotten myself a Panzerjäger mk2 and ambushing the fuck out of the puny soviet traktors.
Stalagmite
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Stalagmite »

Stalagmite wrote:Thank you, Mr. Blargh, just when I thought humanity was worthless you show up to quell my gay lustings.

PS, since I'm unsure of the maturity of the modern DAC'er I'll add that if you take me seriously you're an utter swell guy.

Jesus Christ how drunk was I when I posted this? God I'm such a sleazy Swell Mofo.

Anyway! I'm up for a round of Stacraft 2 if anybody. If not fuck you to.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

I'll probably get crucified for owning up to this, but I got an Xbox 360 recently and I've been playing Halo: Reach. It's nothing ground breaking, but it's solid and has a few surprises in the single player campaign.

I think the best way to describe the game is cinematic; it feels like you're fighting in the middle of a real war, instead of most games where they tell you it's a war and you just wander around killing one or two enemies at a time.

My only complaint about it is it's sometimes not clear what your next objective is, because they're usually radioed to you in the middle of a fire fight or an awesome scripted event that takes up your attention.
- the Vault Dweller