Mad Max 4 gets closer!

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

How long after nuclear war are we talking about here? There's gonna be a lot less people and tons of places to loot for supplies. I doubt every square foot of the planet would be flattened by explosions or whatever. The only people who are gonna be driving around are experienced mechanics. It's not that hard to find parts or cleverly put something together if you know what you're doing. Then again, if you're going to put something together you might as well go back to what I originally said and build a car from scratch out of junkyard parts.

The Mad Max trilogy shows the evolution (or de-evolution) of vehicles following WW3. In Road Warrior we see a lot of muscle cars and trucks which are easier to maintain. Although, they wouldn't survive long without the oil camp. There's also a few custom made vehicles thrown in. Beyond Thunderdome has mostly junk cars and trucks (humvees to be exact) stripped down to just a motor and 4 wheels. They also use their own fuel from pig shit, which is proven to work.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Regarding the price of the car, it was priced ridiculously low at a mere $2,000, although the scarcity of cash (assuming you're not going to gamble) did make you scrape a bit, especially if you were going to buy Vic from Metzger.

Prices being set too low for rather grand operations/items was a problem in both of the RPGs, though. Think about how much you were offered to be a guard on a caravan. Now think of how many guards were on the typical caravan. Then ask yourself why it only cost 2,000 caps -- the designers seem to have an obsession w/that number -- to set up a visit from the Water Merchants. This may be a bad example, though, as the Overseer mentions that they have to trade w/the Water Merchants. However, I'm not certain that he's referring to subsequent caravans, or if you simply made a down payment on the first one.

At any rate, here's something that I'd like to see more of: take one of the solutions for freeing Tandi in FO. You could barter for her! If you chose this option you would see a little icon of Tandi's Talking Head, and you could exchange anything for her, which was something that I've always wished they would have done more of in the game rather than simply requiring you to "cash and carry" when the Wasteland runs on a barter economy.

This would work very well w/things like the car. Rather than simply requiring you to pay $2,000 in cash for the car, the price could be set at $10,000, $20,000 or even higher -- basically enough to ensure that Smitty was set for quite a while, if not for life -- which would give you something to do w/all of those looted weapons that you were either going to leave lying around in the wastes, stick in your trunk, or stash in some forgotten bookcase somewhere. The same thing could have been done w/the upgrades or buying the car back from the Chop Shop. (If you had a female character who wasn't above sleeping w/T-Ray to lower the price the item would simply be replaced w/a cheaper version once the "deed" was done.)

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

If you chose this option you would see a little icon of Tandi's Talking Head, and you could exchange anything for her, which was something that I've always wished they would have done more of in the game rather than simply requiring you to "cash and carry" when the Wasteland runs on a barter economy.
Might as well go one step further in the inventory maintenance and display as many sliders as you have NPCs (and one for the trunk while at it given there's a trunk in the game...) so that everything's directly accessible. That and give the NPCs (ie: shopkeepers, not the ones following you) some type of infinite carry hack so you avoid having to choose which table to barter with as in FO2...

Would be great for inventory maintenance too since you'd just switch items between NPCs right there and then...
Walks with the Snails
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Walks with the Snails »

I didn't have much problem with assorted knick-knacks; I just traded them for power armor, but that's probably a different rant. :P

That would have been a nice idea to trade goods for the car. I thought bartering for Tandi was awesome, it's too bad they didn't do more stuff like that. I remember having a high barter skill and trading her back and forth several times to swindle the guy out of his other wordly possessions, thinking about the process as it was going on. :lol: Fallout had the problem with caps that you just quit talking with a merchant, started up a new conversation, and their money magically reappeared. Then Fallout 2 tried to remove this little niggle and wound up going too far by requiring cash for various services but making it hard to actually trade for. Really a pure barter system would probably be best; having a common currency in the post-apolcalypse requires a bit of suspension of disbelief. I really never bought into the idea of either caps or gold coins.
Red

Post by Red »

I liked Fallout 2's lack of cash. Exxept that ususally by the time of about Vault City eihter you encountered enough random encounters to be full or if you were a clepto, you stole enough to buy pretty much anything.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Walks with the Snails wrote:Fallout had the problem with caps that you just quit talking with a merchant, started up a new conversation, and their money magically reappeared.
The downside to that was that if you traded in a bunch of your own cash it was gone when you started the conversation up again. So you couldn't simply buy something expensive, then run back to your stash, grab some stuff, then exchange it for the cash you'd just spent.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"

Post by Guest »

[quote="TheReaper"][quote="Lasse"]Ignorance is bliss.[/quote]

Sure is :D[/quote] :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :mad: :idea:
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

yay for digging up dead topics! Yay!!
Sykotik
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Sykotik »

Hurrah! ... I guess.

But (a bit) more on topic: Mad Max truly doth kick booty! Especially teh old movies wit teh krazy gibson talk hahahah :L <--- dat a smeliy

(excuse me, i'm not feeling well)
Tits.
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

If you don't own a copy of Road Warrior for some reason it's gonna show on the Scifi channel Sunday.
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

What time is it on?
Mad Max RW
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Mad Max RW »

12:30 PM Eastern I think. They're showing Beyond Thunderdome afterwards.
avenger69ie
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by avenger69ie »

dang! when i seen this resurrected thread, i was hoping for a MM4 release date lol :D