More hype for dubious car game

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

More hype for dubious car game

Post by Mr. Teatime »

<strong>[ -> Interview]</strong>

A game that looks distinctly average, <a href="http://www.autoassault.com/">Auto Assault</a>, has been examined by <a href="http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/autoassa ... ">Gamespot in their Q&A with Project Lead, Scott Brown</a>.<blockquote><i><b>GS: Tell us a bit about the postapocalyptic world that Auto Assault is set in. How big is it, and how is it divided up (if it is divided at all)? Are there many towns and cities? Where will you go to repair your vehicle or rest up?</b>
<br>
<br>SB: The Auto Assault world is broken into regions. Each region consists of a highway map, several instanced highway exit maps, and a few towns. The highways are huge maps, usually more than 30 square miles of territory. This is where you play with lots of other players, completing missions and wreaking havoc on the world. Some mission arcs will include playing a part on an instanced map that you can either play alone or with your current convoy of fellow drivers. These maps are instanced just for your group and they retain the state of what missions you have completed on them. For example, if you destroy an enemy base on an exit map, when you return with a later mission, the base will remain destroyed. Each map has at least one repair station where you are returned when your vehicle is destroyed. The highways also have truck stops, which are large repair stations with stores. Players can travel quickly between truck stops and towns once they have discovered them in the game.</i></blockquote>One thing I wouldn't mind in <i>Fallout 3</i> is some first- or third-person driving action, when not in combat. Of course, the game's standard viewpoint would be the <b>classic top-down</b> one.
<br><BR>Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.homelanfed.com">HomeLAN Fed</A>
Sovy Kurosei
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Sovy Kurosei »

One thing I wouldn't mind in Fallout 3 is some first- or third-person driving action, when not in combat. Of course, the game's standard viewpoint would be the classic top-down one.
Give Bethesda an inch and they will run off with a mile.
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well I'm not against some innovation. A 3D engine would allow things the old 2D engine wouldn't. I just want to make sure the changes bethsoft make are positive ones, not dumb decisions like making it hybrid or real time, removing the classic viewpoint as the default, etc.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Trash looks good but this game looks average?

I'm having a hard time understanding your reasonments, Teatime D:
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

S4ur0n27 wrote:Trash looks good but this game looks average?

I'm having a hard time understanding your reasonments, Teatime D:
It does come across a lot better in this Q&A than it has done previously. And Trash doesn't look great, I just think it's admirable when developers choose to go the independent route, to make a game they want, rather than getting a publisher telling them what to do.
S4ur0n27
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by S4ur0n27 »

Yeah, but you still have to admit that Trash looks like shit.
Jinxed
Paparazzi
Paparazzi

Post by Jinxed »

It's not measured on the same scale. I'd say Auto Assault looks average for a mmo.
DarkUnderlord
Paragon
Paragon
Location: I've got a problem with my Goggomobil. Goggo-mobil. G-O-G-G-O. Yeah, 1954. Yeah, no not the Dart.

Re: More hype for dubious car game

Post by DarkUnderlord »

[quote="Mr. Teatime"]One thing I wouldn't mind in <i>Fallout 3</i> is some first- or third-person driving action, when not in combat./quote]
When not in combat? Fuck that. I want mother-fucking mounted gun turrets on my vehicle so I can open her up and spray evil people with rains of lead death (you shouldn't be allowed to kill innocent people - that's just wrong - so those people should be immortal and immune to your weapons fire).

I also want hard-core sex. Possibly with Brahmin.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mr. Teatime
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Mr. Teatime »

Well vehicle combat would be good, but it wouldn't be first or third person driving - I'd hope it would go to the more classic viewpoint, and be turn based.
Claw
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Claw »

Mr. Teatime wrote:</blockquote>One thing I wouldn't mind in <i>Fallout 3</i> is some first- or third-person driving action, when not in combat. Of course, the game's standard viewpoint would be the <b>classic top-down</b> one.
I like the WoW perspective. Smooth transistion from 1st to 3rd, if a little too close at maximum distance.
But hey, Bethesda is all about cutting-edge graphics, right? They can show how good they are by giving us high-detail graphics for closeups as well as a large 3rd person overview.

I can't quite see vehicles in turnbased combat alongside people.
I wouldn't mind driving a car through a dangerous territory like in Terminator: Future Shock, though. It could be a sort of mini-game.
Retlaw83
Goatse Messiah
Goatse Messiah

Post by Retlaw83 »

DarkUnderlord wrote: I also want hard-core sex. Possibly with Brahmin.
I finally want some of that sloppy ghoul action mentioned in Fallout 2 and Tactics.
"You're going to have a tough time doing that without your head, palooka."
- the Vault Dweller
RAK
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by RAK »

I can't quite see vehicles in turnbased combat alongside people.
The thing is that I can. OK, they'd have massive movement rates(and thus loads of Action Points, although they could make movement for the car a standard movement and give the weapons a separate AP rate) and obviously a faster sequence, but firing weapons like machine-guns can be achieved in the turn-based thing in the same way as in previous Fallouts.
"When conversing about oligarchy, you must consider this point: Many children are taught from an early age that monarchies are primarily benevolent, and are given very little to discourage this opinion until at least adolesence. Even more prevalent are stories about the supposed benevolence of heirs to the throne, symbolising a cycle which they are taught is good."
St. Toxic
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by St. Toxic »

I also think a separation between attack ap and movement ap would be needed. The car is on destined route in tb ( say 200 ap's out of your 40 ) and draws a stable ammount of ap's each turn ( ex. 10 for 30 ap's worth of drive ) to drive somewhere, only crippled by changing route or the car getting shot in some vital part ( motor dies yeehaw ). So it's like 1) Attack everything in sight 2) Press the 'Drive' button, possibly a selection of how many ap's you want to spend on driving, unless that fucks up balance some way ( The lower ap = The lower mph? ). Or maybe attacking could initiate the driving, so that you do both at the same time.

What am I talking about?
although they could make movement for the car a standard movement and give the weapons a separate AP rate
I guess thats what I was saying?

Oh, and what about carcrashes in turnbased? How'd that work?
:drunk: