Blizzard's next project, Star craft 2 or Diablo 3?

Home of discussion, generally. If it doesn't go in any of the other forums, post it in here.

Star Craft 2 vs. Diablo 3, Blizzard's next project.

StarCraft 2
80%
Diablo 3
20%

Total votes: 20

Dark Xenomorph

Blizzard's next project, Star craft 2 or Diablo 3?

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

What should Billizard make next? Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2? I say SC2, cause knowing Blizzard's creativity, they'll have 4 or 5 DIFFERENT races to play as. Diablo is getting like Jurrasic Park, the first and second were good, 3 times is pushing it. Besides, there are bigger and better competitions ( can u say Morrowind and NeverWinter?)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

How about something different altogether? I agree that they might not make a Diablo 3, at least not right away, but they also just finished a strategy game. They might start a new franchise, which would be nice.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Jurassic Park III. First one was great, second one was mediocre, third one was Jabootu material.

It finally put the Ass into Jurassic.
Darkworld Ark
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Darkworld Ark »

Blizzards proboly going to throw all it's recources into WoWC, but after that, I'm hoping for a SC2.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

I hope WoWC isn't a flop, as I've seen more than one company get it's soul sucked out when they did a MMORPG title, and I'd hate to see that happen to Blizzard.
Grand Lord Penguin
Respected
Respected
Location: The secret underground lair- er, dojo of the Penguin style Kung-Fu

Post by Grand Lord Penguin »

WoWC+Monthly fee=Blizzard's license to print money.

After WoWC, I hope the make SC2. The original SC was great for one reason: massive replay value. RPG maps (some of which are freaking stand alone games [WWII Normandy is a good example]), Madnesses (mindless, but fun), standard maps (not fun), etc.

D3...well, how? The end of LOD was pretty final (Three Prime Evils, two Lesser Evils, two demonic armorers, and one Fallen Angel dead, not to mention millions of demon lackeys)
Black Mage: She better have an antidote for FACE STABBIN'! 'Cause, ooh, her face is so stabbed when we get back!
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Well, as far as Diablo3 is concerned, there's still some Lesser Evils yet to be killed (over and over again, I'm sure). IIRC there's 3 prime evils and 4 lesser evils, although the names of the ones still alive escape me at the moment...

But yea, I'm rootin' for either SC2 or something entirely new.
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Grand Lord Penguin wrote:WoWC+Monthly fee=Blizzard's license to print money.
That's a marketing fallacy. Since the market is becoming saturated, the number of players per game is becoming a bit slimmer. They should have a substantial amount, but it's not likely going to be an obscene amount. It might also draw away from their other operations to keep up the MMORPG.
MF
Respected
Respected

Post by MF »

I suppose they have a little bit more direct support from their big corporate moneycow. Vivendi isn't Titus and Blizzard will probably be pulled from the dirt when (dare I say if) WoW flops.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

Grand Lord Penguin wrote:WoWC+Monthly fee=Blizzard's license to print money.
Now dont lie, i KNOW that u got that from the MMOG issue of PCGAMER, US version.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

WOWC doesnt have my money however, Star Wars Galiexes and Planet Side have my vote right now ( depending they arent buggy as Ultima 9 !)
Araanor
Respected
Respected

Post by Araanor »

I believe they have three development teams in Blizzard and at least one in Blizzard North.

Team 1: WC3 just released, they'll probably be working on patches for a while. Then, there's the obligatory expansion to be made.
Team 2: Working on World of Warcraft.
Team 3: Unknown.

North team: Unknown.

After working on Diablo, Diablo 2 and it's expansion pack, Blizzard North was deadly tired of the whole thing. Their current project (s) is unnanounced. I'd make a stab at 4-5 years until we get to see Diablo 3.

Starcraft 2 will be made. Extrapolating from their previous projects I'd say in 5 years.
Grand Lord Penguin wrote:D3...well, how? The end of LOD was pretty final (Three Prime Evils, two Lesser Evils, two demonic armorers, and one Fallen Angel dead, not to mention millions of demon lackeys)
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the evils were "banished back into the abyss" and not destroyed. Diablo will be back, sooner or later.
Crow of Ill Omen
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Post by Crow of Ill Omen »

Blizzard have stated that they're laying off Diablo for the foreseeable future. Diablo 2 is still going strong (for player volume) so that might be for the best.

I'm hoping WoWC turns out to be special. I'll probably buy it, but if there's nothing to d but kill and skill, I'll be dropping it within a month.

If WoWC doesn't turn out to be a huge money-maker for Blizzard (in spite of Rosh's living on another planet), I'll eat all my hats and my head.
Sqawk
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Crow of Ill Omen wrote:If WoWC doesn't turn out to be a huge money-maker for Blizzard (in spite of Rosh's living on another planet), I'll eat all my hats and my head.
Do you really know how saturated the market has become with MMORPGs, or are you prepping another straw man? Being able to capture a majority of the market and make immense amounts of cash isn't a possibility unless you bring out a game that does attract the widest amount of people. Which is kind of hard to do since there's already a number situated and effectively "embedded" into playing a certain MMORPG until it goes down.

Considering there's dozens of MMORPGs slated for release in the next couple of years, and a good number in a high-profile status, the market is going to be fierce and someone is going to fall. Also, if Blizzard's MMORPG does do well, then it would likely draw from other projects as they might require more manpower. Much like how Origin has become solely for UO's production and that's it. Considering how Diablo and Diablo 2 have had rampant exploits and are comparatively MUCH simpler than a MMORPG, they're going to need the extra manpower and may be ironing out WoWC for quite some time and possibly post-release as well.

Try to keep up here.
Last edited by Rosh on Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Actually I think the Starcraft 2 project has been underway for a while now. I saw a site a while back on it. It had some concept art and it said they were working on it I think.
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Araanor wrote:I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the evils were "banished back into the abyss" and not destroyed. Diablo will be back, sooner or later.
The way he came back from the first one is that the hero plunges the soulstone into himself (I say him because at no point does it even suggest it is the rogue.), maybe some idiot does the same thinking that it would be cool. Also, at the end of LOD, the worldstone is destroyed, so the world was re-formed so all three prime evils could have been re-formed along with the world and the adventure starts again. I definately think SC2 will be next and will be the better of the two.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

Aside from not much of a difficulty toggle, I liked StarCraft a lot. The three unique building methods and trees were very refreshing from the stale rehack of C&C and RA. TA: Kingdoms was a bust, too.

I would look for that sequel more than anything, and perhaps I'll revive Double Helix Deity (DHD), my old nick that I've used for air combat and RTS games (and Mech games).
TheReaper

Post by TheReaper »

Just remember that if you see the name Reaper or Fenris or Fenris442, then that's me so avoid, I'm VERY good.
Dark Xenomorph

Post by Dark Xenomorph »

If you ever see DarkXenolord or DarkXenomorph, come and beat me im VERY CRAPPY :cry:
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

or avoid you because your so bad and you don't want to embaress yourself.
:chew: