Deleting the BoS Files: DON'T DO IT!!!

Mapping & modding Fallout Tactics and reviewing maps thereof.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Deleting the BoS Files: DON'T DO IT!!!

Post by OnTheBounce »

Hey guys, I read yesterday how Red said that he deleted the *.bos files from his HD since he had everything uncompressed. I did this last night and the game would not run like that. At start-up I got a Fatal Error resulting from the sprite_0.bos file and I was informed that this was likely due to a defect in CD3. (Oddly enough the editor would still run, though.)

I'm assuming that this was something that was added in one of the patches (I'm obviously patched to v1.27) due to the problem w/the sprite files. (The problem that necessitated a ca. 80 meg patch...) I lost quite a bit of time last night reinstalling FoT and defraging my HD... :(

So I'll say it again: DON'T FUCKING DELETE YOUR BOS FILES TO SAVE HD SPACE!!!

Cheers,

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

Thats because the game reads from the compressed files. You would have actually alter the games programming to make it even recognise the uncompressed version. The editor works in the exact opposite way.
One day...
Forty-six & Two
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Gadak

Post by Forty-six & Two »

*Takes note*

Allrighty. When I saw Red talking about it the other day I actually thought about deleting them tonight, so you saved me some trouble :D Thanks.
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

*is happy he has a 40 GB hard drive*
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
bloodbathmaster2
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by bloodbathmaster2 »

*is happy he doesn't have the files unpacked anymore*

:drinking:
One day...
Talion
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Talion »

OTB: I've deleted many of the .bos files; that sprite_0.bos was the only one to give that error. To fix that prob I simply created an empty .zip file and renamed it to sprite_0.bos. It works fine. No defrag required. :lol:
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

Talion wrote:OTB: I've deleted many of the .bos files; that sprite_0.bos was the only one to give that error. To fix that prob I simply created an empty .zip file and renamed it to sprite_0.bos. It works fine. No defrag required. :lol:
Now THAT is one nifty workaround. Simple AND effective :D

BTW, Talion, how goes yer campaign? I'd check the website you had those screenies you posted a while back, but I dunno the URL :(
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Yup, sorry for not filling you up on that...

What I did personally is create an empty sprite_0.bos (totally empty, not an ampty zip... 0 bytes long), which the game finds and ignores silently.

*extra note*

Make sure to never pollute the core diorectory... I screwed up my entities a few times like that... and well, without the zip's, you'll have to extra the entities all over again (you can do it directl from the CD, but it's still quite annoying).
PaladinHeart
Strider
Strider

RE:

Post by PaladinHeart »

I stlill prefer to keep the original .bos files and always make new entities and/or change unzipped ones for all other purposes. I've got plenty of HD space tho so I have that liberty :P
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

does anyone know how fallout accesses the 'bos' files? does it access the zip files directly, unzip/archive them and read them like that? and in that case, does it delete the archived files if you're not using them? im just a little cuirous to know.
wh0red,
-essex
Red

Post by Red »

It's just an uncompressed ZIP file... You could just rename the file as a ZIP and work from there... You can also associate the .BOS extention with WinZIP or something.

The game doesn't delete any files. It uses what it can find in the dir, and if it can't find it it'll look for the in the various BOS files.
sabin-x
Scarf-wearing n00b
Scarf-wearing n00b

Post by sabin-x »

i dont think the bos files are uncompressed. after unzipping them i lost a gig of space (i deleted the original bos files too, btw)
wh0red,
-essex
Red

Post by Red »

That are uncompressed - and the engine supports compressed ZIPs tiio.

The reason it's bigger is that seperate files take more space physically then a single ones because of cluster size. If you want a better idea of what I'm talking about, click on the "properties" of any file, notice how there's 2 size specified... real size and Space on disk.

As an exmaple, go in a text editor and make a 1byte file, and ceck how much space it'll take (1 cluster...)

Depending on how you formated your HD (and partitioned it), the size of the cluster can be larger or smaller.