Tandi, Harold and dogmeat

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Tandi, Harold and dogmeat

Post by Megatron »

Do you think these should be in the third game?

I think tandi should be a brain in a jar, harold the leader of some town (the tree could mabye have some kind of fruit on it, and be really big) and dogmeat still roaming the wastes

Thoughts on these 3 things and anything else that should carry on from the first 2 games.
:chew:
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

I think no characters should carry over.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

Harold is a fun guy and ought to be in Fallout 3. Hopefully he'll be a little more demented after 200+ years of living in the wastes.

Dogmeat died in the Military Base. It says so in the FO2 manual.

Tandi should be very, very dead by now. Although maybe if the NCR still exists, you could be able to visit her grave (I'm unwilling to say tomb because it sounds too damn much like a lame BG quest).
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Spazmo wrote:Harold is a fun guy and ought to be in Fallout 3.
I agree. Harold should be the only carry-over. Then again, if there's a FO 12 Harold should be in it. (Okay, I admit that last bit's an exageration...)

I think that rather than having Dogmeat in FO3 the game would be better served it there was a "Dogmeat-like" character available, perhaps in a SRE, or perhaps in the same sense the Cassidy was a "Tycho-like" character.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
spyder07
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by spyder07 »

Tycho! Now there was an NPC.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

I think harold should have some kind of shop. It could have bits and pieces from past fallouts, and other stuff (AOL holotapes, bottle-caps, GECK etc.)

blah
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

How about you find a town built around a tree that fed its founders. You try to replant the tree where it will be of some use and there is harold at the roots of the tree. Dead of course...
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

Er...

-If it's fed it's followers wouldnt it have served a purpose?
-It would be hard to try to re-plant a tree
-Harold wouldnt just...die. And if he did, the fruit of the tree would be fetus' that all talk in cohesion.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

That branch on his head should have grown into full-grown tree by the time Fallout 3 takes place. Otherwise I completely agree with Spazmo, Harold would be only one of the three that would fit in Fallout 3. I have nothing against carry-over characters, only if there's too many of them. For example, Tandi and Harold in Fallout 2 were appropriate in my opinion. Dogmeat was not, it was just a silly easter egg. :?
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

VasikkA wrote:Tandi and Harold in Fallout 2 were appropriate in my opinion. Dogmeat was not, it was just a silly easter egg. :?
Tandi wasn't appropriate.
People in the wasteland shouldn't live so long.
I think anybody over 45 isn't acceptable.

You are right about Dogmeat.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Well, Tandi lived in a quite safe and 'pure' neighbourhood(Shady Sands) and I think NCR had a pretty sophisticated healthcare compared to other towns so it's not impossible that she had lived for so long. But you're right about average lifespan should be low in the wastelands, which makes the Village Elder of Arroyo a quite controversial character considering the circumstances there.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

VasikkA wrote:Well, Tandi lived in a quite safe and 'pure' neighbourhood(Shady Sands) and I think NCR had a pretty sophisticated healthcare compared to other towns so it's not impossible that she had lived for so long. But you're right about average lifespan should be low in the wastelands, which makes the Village Elder of Arroyo a quite controversial character considering the circumstances there.
That is excactly why the NCR is a bad location.
Rosh
Desert Strider
Desert Strider

Post by Rosh »

A Dogmeat-like character, definitely. Just something about it, but the details of relation/where they came can be done however as long as it fits. Harold, definitely. Get ol Charlie Adler to do his voice. Tandi...well, she's worm food. A descendent of hers would be a bit unbelievable, perhaps.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Pyro wrote:I think harold should have some kind of shop. It could have bits and pieces from past fallouts, and other stuff (AOL holotapes, bottle-caps, GECK etc.)

blah
Not a bad idea. Perhaps he could sell Vault Dweller statues or something also along the other stuff you suggested. Btw, I think they should bring back bottlecaps someway. I prefer them to gold coins or other currency types.
Last edited by Flamescreen on Mon Oct 07, 2002 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
I pwn j00
I pwn j00

Post by Dan »

Flamescreen wrote:
Pyro wrote:I think harold should have some kind of shop. It could have bits and pieces from past fallouts, and other stuff (AOL holotapes, bottle-caps, GECK etc.)

blah
Not a bad idea. Perhaps he could sell Vault Dweller statues or something also along the other stuff you suggested. Btw, I think they should bring back bottlecups someway. I prefer them to gold coins or other currency types.
yeah, I agree.
Bottlecaps are much better, they have a great atmosphere value.
I never understood from where all those gold coins came from.
Spazmo

Post by Spazmo »

They just said some of the towns decided to start creating money. It was a rather superficial thing. I suspect they changed currency so they could have that little quest with Typhon and the well in Broken Hills. It would have been interesting if there was a mint somewhere producing money. It would be a great opportunity for some good quests. Then again, a factory mass-producing money isn't very Fallout...
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

Perhaps they stopped using bottlecaps cuase there was way too many of them. This would make them virtually useless. But gold coins were not the best choice for new currency.
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Rosh wrote:Tandi...well, she's worm food. A descendent of hers would be a bit unbelievable, perhaps.
IIRC she only managed to produce a half-witted son who hangs out in a bar in NCR. Not exactly a flattering legacy. :lol:
Dan wrote:I never understood from where all those gold coins came from.
The mines in Redding.

(Gimme a sack full of rusty bottlecaps instead, though.)

OTB
Som Guy
Vault Elite
Vault Elite

Post by Som Guy »

Like i said before because of people looking for bottle caps they probably became too plentyful IE:if a farmer found a nuka-cola bottlign plant he would become rich but the bottle caps would be too plentyful and lower their value. Now imagine if 4 of these factories were found that would be way too many bottle caps. Thus the need of currency that was rarer. Either way i perfer using stimpacks as currency :D
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Som Guy wrote:Like i said before because of people looking for bottle caps they probably became too plentyful IE:if a farmer found a nuka-cola bottlign plant he would become rich but the bottle caps would be too plentyful and lower their value.
Did you ever notice that there isn't an official seal of any organization on the BCs? Bottlecaps as currency aren't supposed to be taken seriously. There are definitely some tongue-in-cheek elements in the FO universe, and this is one of them.
Som Guy wrote:Either way i perfer using stimpacks as currency :D
Stim Packs are currency as FO has a barter economy. Anything and everything is a medium of exchange in a barter economy, so Stim Packs, ammo and the host of other things that people have suggested as currency are in fact currency (or at least mediums of exchange).
Spazmo wrote:I suspect they changed currency so they could have that little quest with Typhon and the well in Broken Hills.
Either that, or the people that worked on FO2 found FO1's use of BCs as currency to be distasteful/hokey and decided to change it and that little quest was added later.

OTB