What is a Luck roll ?

Discuss the game that started it all, and its sequel. Technical questions and issues go into the Fallout Technical Support forum, not here.
Purple Tentacle
SDF!
SDF!

What is a Luck roll ?

Post by Purple Tentacle »

hello everyone,
i am playing fallout 2 and i have chosen the "sniper" perk, it says "Your character will do a critical hit with a ranged weapon with a successful Luck roll and this Perk."

what is a Luck roll ??
Red
Hero of the Glowing Lands
Hero of the Glowing Lands

Post by Red »

Basically it "throws a d10" and if under or equal to Luck, you hit.

With 10 luck you always critical, making sniper+high luck one of the most popular combinations in the game, but I find it lame since you're basically invincible at that point. Thankfully the perk is at level 21 and by that time you're usually almost done with the game.
Purple Tentacle
SDF!
SDF!

ok, cool. because i just got to choose my NEXT perk after 'sniper' and i chose "Gain Luck" because i was hopeing that a Luck roll would be what you said :) now i have a luck of 6 so i should get some more criticals now :twisted:

i have played it thru about 3 times now, so this time i went straight down to san fran and got Adv. Power armour. wicked.
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Hello, Purple Tentacle and welcome to the boards.
If you like FO2, chances are you'll love Fallout itself, so give it a try when you're done with FO2. It's smaller but the original is usually the best and this stands correct in this case...
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Purple Tentacle wrote:so this time i went straight down to san fran and got Adv. Power armour. wicked.
You like doing things the easy way, huh?
Purple Tentacle
SDF!
SDF!

i have beaten fallout once, and i will play it again one day. i hate RPG's as a general rule, but fallout 1 & 2 were fantastic, how does fallout tactics rate ? is it as good ?
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

It's not an RPG, but if you like isometric tactical combat I guess it's ok. Don't expect it to be nearly as good as Fallout or Fallout 2 though.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

OR Jagged Alliance 2 :roll:
Meths
Vault Veteran
Vault Veteran

Post by Meths »

Purple Tentacle wrote:i have played it thru about 3 times now, so this time i went straight down to san fran and got Adv. Power armour. wicked.
Well.. i was doing the same when i had about 3 or 4 walkthroughs under my belt. But Fallout2 is the game that needs to be understood, so believe me or not but getting APA early in the game you are missing 90% of fun.

I strongly reccomend that you.. ehm just put that thing back to Navarro :lol: and go back to Klamath. :wink:
I like BIG guns...
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

FoT(Fallout Tactics) is deffinitely not an RPG.
It's basis is squadie combat more or less the style of XCOM. If you liked that, chances are you'd like FoT as well.
If every game you've ever played is an RPG, chances are you'd probably not like it.
The good thing about the game(possibly the best feature in fact) is that it is modifiable and people come up with new missions for it, many of them very good.
My suggestion would be to try it in a friend's comp, if someone of your friends has it offcourse.
I personally like it very much, but a lot of people here simply hate it.
Kashluk

Post by Kashluk »

Well, of course we hate it if YOU like it :lol:
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

hey... are you the same evil mutated puple tenticle from DAY OF THE TENTICAL!..? that game was so kick-ass, purple tenticle had arms, and er yes...

i love that game, it was so fun and funny, i like the frozen hampster that you revive in the future with the dryer and all the 1000's of quarters you get from the vending machine... er i think thats how it was.
VasikkA
No more Tuna
No more Tuna

Post by VasikkA »

Hmm, was purple tentacle the evil one? Or was it green tentacle? Anyway, they both appeared in Maniac Mansion too, IIRC. :)
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

The purple tentacle was evil. The green tentacle was the one that wanted to be a rockstar.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

are you shure they both appeared in maniac mansion? because there where only long green tenticles in that one i thought.

in day of the tenticle, they were stubbyer and the purple one had arms. i forgot what the green one wanted, but he talked cool.. heheh.

it was in maniac mansion that one of the green tenticles wanted to be a rockstar
Flamescreen
Vault Hero
Vault Hero

Post by Flamescreen »

Kashluk wrote:Well, of course we hate it if YOU like it :lol:
hmm, Kashluk I would like to add a witty reply to that, but fact is, you just left me hanging with my mouth open there...! :lol:

plus you carry a knife so You're my favorite man in the world right now *walks away slowly trying to get unnoticed*
Purple Tentacle
SDF!
SDF!

yep, my nick is taken from DOTT, what a kick ass game that was eh? 8)