So much for that...

Comment on events and happenings in the Fallout community.
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

So much for that...

Post by Killzig »

<strong>[ -> N/A]</strong>

So much for Gamespy's exclusive Lionheart demo download. The demo is floating all about the net and I'm happy to link you kids to it right over <a href="http://games.tiscali.cz/clanek/demo2.asp?id=5925" target=_blank>here</a>. The demo weighs in at a little over 150 Megs and offers a small taste of the full game. It also gives you a good look at the character generator and the basic mechanics of combat.

<blockquote>

<li><a href="http://download.games.tiscali.cz/game/d ... ip">Mirror 1. Right click, save as.</a><br>

<li><a href="http://www.gamershell.com/download_2917.shtml" target=_blank>Mirror 2, left click.</a><br>

<li><a href="http://www.cdprojekt.cz/nasze_gry/lionh ... rtDemo.zip" >Mirror 3. Right click, save as.</a><br>

<li><a href="http://files.worthplaying.com/files/mod ... oad&cid=39" target=_blank>Mirror 4. Left click.</a><br>

<li><a href="http://www.idg.pl/ftp/download2.asp?sys=gry&id=1547" target=_blank>Mirror 5. Left click.</a>

</blockquote>

Best part of the demo, there's no pick pocketing in your thieving skills!

<b>UPDATE;</b> looks like FilePlanet's hand has been forced. It's out now on their <a href="http://www.fileplanet.com/files/120000/ ... servers</a> free for anyone. If you want to wait for 40 minutes download it there. Otherwise use the mirrors above. This is supposed to be the US OFFICIAL version but 151 megs just like the "UK version" anyone find the difference yet?<br>

<br>As Nelson Muntz would say, <em>Ha Ha</em>.
Last edited by Killzig on Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Megatron
Mamma's Gang member
Mamma's Gang member

Post by Megatron »

is it good?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?
:chew:
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

No.
The answer to your first question is shaddup.
Spazmo
Haha you're still not there yet
Haha you're still not there yet

Post by Spazmo »

I heartily concur. Right off the bat, the game forces you into combat, which, due to the real-timeness, sucks ass. On top of that, certain aspects of the interface are just unpleasant. Me no likey.
How appropriate. You fight like a cow.

RPG Codex
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

The interface is painful.
Raymondo
Pussy Lord
Pussy Lord

Post by Raymondo »

Killzig wrote:The interface is painful.
Who's it made by again, oh interplay that explains it then.
Virus
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Virus »

Wow... if you ever wondered how well the special system would work in a Medieval setting... the answer was "horribly".
Rayt
SDF!
SDF!

Post by Rayt »

Real time combat has in this case been the wrong choice.
Slave_Master
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Slave_Master »

Virus wrote:Wow... if you ever wondered how well the special system would work in a Medieval setting... the answer was "horribly".
I don't think it was totally the fault of SPECIAL, if at all, mainly just the realtime.
fuck
OnTheBounce
TANSTAAFL
TANSTAAFL

Post by OnTheBounce »

Virus wrote:Wow... if you ever wondered how well the special system would work in a Medieval setting... the answer was "horribly".
Since I'm a dial-up dumb-ass I'm not going to suffer through a 150 meg dl. However, I would think that whatever's wrong with Lionheart won't be the fault of the SPECIAL system. Since SPECIAL is a modified form of GURPS I see no reason that SPECIAL shouldn't be just as universally applicable as GURPS.

OTB
"On the bounce, you apes! Do you wanna live forever?!"
Killzig
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Killzig »

Well the problem is it's so modified it's hardly recognizable as special. Aside from the base stats and the tag skills there's not much else to go by.
axelgreese
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by axelgreese »

it plays like a crappy version of Diablo 2 :cry:
SuperH
Hero of the Wastes
Hero of the Wastes

Post by SuperH »

Well, I downloaded it and played it a bit.
It's certainly no fallout, but, it doesn't seem to bad to me. The writing at least, so far, seems to be pretty good. It's a bit combat heavy, but that could just be the demo... if I do recall (and i do, since i played it just a couple weeks ago, heh) the fallout demo was rather combat heavy itself. Combat is a little trickey, especially for the archer I made... all the enemies run up and hit me, so my little range benifit is ruined. Tagging skills gives you more than just a boost in them this time around though - you normally have a penalty for shooting arrows close range it seems, which you lose having tagged that skill. Not too shabby. There are a lot of the same traits, gifted, skilled, fast metabolism, etc. And even some similar skills, although they're pretty much completely reworked. I wonder if pickpocketing might be a derivative skill, instead of a base skill? I know once I put a few skill points into diplomacy, it opened up two new (in a way, new) skills for me, speech and barter. Maybe sneak will give you pickpocket. Makes sense a bit, i suppose... you do have to sneak up on people to steal from them well. Bleh, this was a rambling post.
In all, I liked it. It wasn't the greatest, but it could be far worse. I'm still buying it when it comes out.
Smiley
Righteous Subjugator
Righteous Subjugator

Post by Smiley »

Combat is pretty horrible...

They gave it a baldur's gate chance of pausing, but it kinda screws it all up with the BIG FUCKING "PAUSE" ALL OVER THE SCREEN!

Anyhow... using a sword seems to be much better than spells, or at least, thought magic. Dragons breath or whatever, seemed to be quite useless against enemies, since I hit them for much more damage with a longsword!
Not to mention the vampiric trait that gave me 1 hit point for each 10 dmg I delivered.

The story is interesting and it makes you want to continue on. The sarcastic demonic spirit is somewhat funny....

Is there voices for *each* person in that game?
There seems to be quite a few...
Testicular Pugilist
Doyle
Strider Elite
Strider Elite

Post by Doyle »

Didn't really have any fun with it at all. The RT combat ruined it too much for me. I was thinking I'd like to get it, but I probably won't now.
Literacy is overated.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

why would they have a really indepth story in the demo? it is just a demo, and a demo is for showing off the engine more than the game (if it uses its own engine, which it does?) so why bother cranking out a great story demo when all you want to show is what it is kindov like.

though they should give a taste of the good part of the game, because who wants to buy a game when its demo sucked ass?
EvoG
Developer GOD
Developer GOD

Post by EvoG »

A techdemo is for showing off the engine.

A demo is for showing off the game.

The demo is to showcase the entirety of what the game offers in a microcosm of gameplay. If the game in question is a story intensive game, demonstrate that. Your 'sell' is almost entirely dependent on a successful demo that imparts to the player what he's to expect from the full game. I've rarely if at all, seen a demo that did NOT represent the actual game. In this game, I don't expect a great deal that suites the kind of game I wish to play.

This is it folks, and it isn't that great. I created a complete thief chararcter, and on my freebie level up at the begining, took the thief perk and applied all my points to sneak ( 62% ). I had ZERO luck avoiding detection for any length of time and was promptly dispatched. VERY POOR DESIGN. Again, dev's, demonstrate to me that I have options OTHER than combat.
Strap
Hero of the Desert
Hero of the Desert

Post by Strap »

i wonder how messed up this will be when you are level ## some high number and are using this realtime combat stuff... bah. pause and play would have been much better, but now because this is realtime i can already see it is one of those run around killing and leveling up while moving from area to area type games. oh well, i never was interested anyway
Max-Violence
Wandering Hero
Wandering Hero

Post by Max-Violence »

I thought it was OK. Rather large selection of character types/variations (assuming implemention of non-combat characters being able to go through the game becomes a reality).

Did anyone else kill the merchant at the crossroads? You get a "Title Perk" of Merchant Killer, whatever that means.

BTW, how does one run?
Closing our eyes forces us to look
At the darkness inside.
Our emotions always find us
Regardless of where we hide.

maxviolence@hotmail.com
http://mvmaphub.duckandcover.cx <--- Updated July 10th, 2006
Bridgeburner
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Bridgeburner »

i kinda liked it too, i especially liked the environment art; trees, buildings and such. the rest was ok. nothing very special.